Windows 7 The Witcher (Enhanced Edition)

iamkidd

Extraordinary Member
Is anybody else having trouble playing this on Windows 7? I was able to install it, but when I click on “run gameâ€Â￾ it’s a no go. Any suggestions?
- Kidd

So I tried deleting the entire thing, then reinstalling it. The launch game screen comes up, but when I click on "run game" I get a message of not having Administrator rights. I did a search on this and found some helpful info on this forum site. (activating the admin rights through the cmd prompt). When i tried this, the computer told me that it was an invalid request (or something of the such). Does anybody have any other suggestions as to what could be going on here??

I am also having problems with The Witcher EE. When I go to start the game, it just tells me that I need to put the original disk in the drive, when in fact it is. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Anyone else having the same issues?

I am also having problems with The Witcher EE. When I go to start the game, it just tells me that I need to put the original disk in the drive, when in fact it is. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Anyone else having the same issues?

This is the exact issue I am having with this game. It seems to install fine, but once I try to run the game it prompts me for the 'original DVD' which is being used. The game still plays fine under Vista. Any known fixes out there?

This is the exact issue I am having with this game. It seems to install fine, but once I try to run the game it prompts me for the 'original DVD' which is being used. The game still plays fine under Vista. Any known fixes out there?

Hmmm, I also played that game (EE version) in Vista for a couple of days (uninstalled it due to too many crashes and black screens for my taste...) and haven't still tried it in W7. Nevertheless, since you say it plays fine for you in Vista, you could try running it in "Vista Compatibility Mode" (right-click on the game executable -> properties -> compatibility) and see if it works.

It's a very nice game but I hate when games are bugged and black screen/crash your PC :( But Ulduar is taking all my time atm anyway so not much of a problem :D

Good luck!

Hmmm, I also played that game (EE version) in Vista for a couple of days (uninstalled it due to too many crashes and black screens for my taste...) and haven't still tried it in W7. Nevertheless, since you say it plays fine for you in Vista, you could try running it in "Vista Compatibility Mode" (right-click on the game executable -> properties -> compatibility) and see if it works.

It's a very nice game but I hate when games are bugged and black screen/crash your PC :( But Ulduar is taking all my time atm anyway so not much of a problem :D

Good luck!

Tried the compatibity mode, results are the same. Still asks for 'original dvd'. Also uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. For now I'll play the game on Vista.

EDIT :
I've been messing around with this for a few days now. Looks like the reason I'm getting the error is due to the Tagès driver not installing properly or at all. So I went to Tagès' website and downloaded their latest drivers. It seems that those are incompatible with Windows 7 as well. Windows blocks the installation of these drivers. For those who don't know, Tagès is a type of CD/DVD protection solution. The drivers load during game launch to detect the CD/DVD in drive and ensure it is original. Hope this is fixed soon. :frown:

Last edited:
Tried the compatibity mode, results are the same. Still asks for 'original dvd'. Also uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. For now I'll play the game on Vista.

EDIT :
I've been messing around with this for a few days now. Looks like the reason I'm getting the error is due to the Tagès driver not installing properly or at all. So I went to Tagès' website and downloaded their latest drivers. It seems that those are incompatible with Windows 7 as well. Windows blocks the installation of these drivers. For those who don't know, Tagès is a type of CD/DVD protection solution. The drivers load during game launch to detect the CD/DVD in drive and ensure it is original. Hope this is fixed soon. :frown:

Did you try to set the Tages installer itself to run in Vista compat mode? Maybe is just the installer being hardcoded to Vista but once you pass that it should install ok :confused:

Yes, I tried the compatibility mode for the driver installer, but I still get the message "The driver was blocked due to compatibiliy issues" dialog box from the Program Compatibility Assistant. Thanks for the reply though. :)

Same problems here

I just installed last evening and tried to run. Got the same "Insert Original Disk" message. I tired run as Admin and Compatibility Mode to no avail.

I broke down and started looking for a No DVD hack. Downloaded it but went to bed before I installed it. I will try it this evening and report back. I'm not in favor of these software "tools", but I have nonetheless been forced to use them from time to time when I ran into similar problems on other games/computers.

Not sure why a designated Games for Windows game would be having such difficulty running on a Windows platform...not good for marketing.

If any of you guys eventually get to run the game plz give some feedback regarding the game stability at the moment :)

I have the Enhanced Edition catching dust in a shelf because I couldn't bear the black screens/freezes the game had when I installed it some time ago :(

I just installed last evening and tried to run. Got the same "Insert Original Disk" message. I tired run as Admin and Compatibility Mode to no avail.

I broke down and started looking for a No DVD hack. Downloaded it but went to bed before I installed it. I will try it this evening and report back. I'm not in favor of these software "tools", but I have nonetheless been forced to use them from time to time when I ran into similar problems on other games/computers.

Not sure why a designated Games for Windows game would be having such difficulty running on a Windows platform...not good for marketing.

I actually went this route and it does work for me. With the hack it doesn't look for the disc, therefore by-passing the entire driver issue. Seeing as how I paid for this game I have no problem using this 'tool'. You are right, being a 'game for windows' it should work and it does work. What doesn't work are the protection drivers from Tagès. As soon as some that are compatible with Windows 7 become available this issue will disappear.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info, priest206. Since I hadn't actually played the EE version of the game yet, I was kind of eager to do so, seeing as how the graphics on the games I have that do work so far seem to be more brilliant and detailed running on this new version of Windows that they did on XP. EE came out as I was in the middle of my second run-through on Oblivion, and when Fallout 3 came out, and then I picked up Mass Effect...I just didn't get back to it. Now I think I will.

Thanks again...

I actually went this route and it does work for me. With the hack it doesn't look for the disc, therefore by-passing the entire driver issue. Seeing as how I paid for this game I have no problem using this 'tool'. You are right, being a 'game for windows' it should work and it does work. What doesn't work are the protection drivers from Tagès. As soon as some that are compatible with Windows 7 become available this issue will disappear.

Which crack did you use? The one I found is not working. And it seems to be one of the only ones out there...got it on GameCopyWorld.

Last edited:
The file is called 1045_witcher.v1.4.5.1282.nodvd. Don't really remember the name of the site I got it from sorry. The patch I have is for the Enhanced Edition. You have to be sure that the patched exe is for the verision you have.

Cool, I'll give it another shot later tonight. :D Hope it works >.>;

EDIT:
Awesome, just got home and downloaded the latest Tagès drivers. The game now loads! :D I can do away with the crack now.

Last edited:
I installed and played The Witcher EE with ZERO problems...... I installed the original game CD and then Patched to TWEE .... Everything went without a hitch and plays very very well so far....No cracks no compatabilty mode...No problem with Tages...

I installed and played The Witcher EE with ZERO problems...... I installed the original game CD and then Patched to TWEE .... Everything went without a hitch and plays very very well so far....No cracks no compatabilty mode...No problem with Tages...

Well you got lucky then :p. I've installed my EE version of it, and I get the same error as the others 'original dvd' error. I'll try that link shortly.. I'm not in enough of a rush to play it to dl a patch though. Right now Left 4 Dead suits me fine :p. I get a good deal more frames than my compared XP 32bit. =D

I downloaded the tage drivers via the link TR0J4N provided. Works perfectly now. Great stuff =D. Looks great, 30-60 fps variant on scenes on max, awesome! =D Cheers dude

Last edited:
I also have not had any problems with The Witcher EE on W7. Installed fine, runs fine. No problems except pixelated conversation scenes/cutscenes; Though solved by setting the AF in-game and forcing the AF on the card to the same setting (known issue).

Works now

I never did figure out the problem with trying to run Witcher EE earlier. I began having even greater problems with Windows 7 and ended up ditching it. A couple of weeks ago I rebuilt my computer and tried Windows y RC again...this time in the 64Bit flavor. Installed The Witcher EE and the latest patch (to 1.5) and it runs great.

The lesson for me was that this was strictly an issue with outdated hardware and WIndows 7 not playing nice with one another.

The Witcher

Just got The Witcher (not enhanced version) yesterday and tried it out on my new system. Am currently running windows 7 as i decided to give it a test. Had a few problems trying to get the game to run so this is what i did.

Changed the settings to run it in xp compatable mode.

Downloaded this as stated previously in thread from here TAGES, the AAA Copy Protection System

Runs perfectly so far no glitches yet although havent had a real game on it yet..

Not sure about enhanced version as i didnt know there was one

Hope this is of help

:D:D:razz::razz:

Back