Things not to scale since Windows 10

I have a relatively simple problem which I just cannot resolve.

I have two monitors, one beside the other (in desktop extension, so that I have a wide desktop and can slide stuff seamlessly from one to the other). The first is 1920 x 1200, the other is 1920 x 1080. However, they are physically different sizes. The first is approx. 21.625" wide, so the horizontal resolution is about 88/89 dpi. The second is approx. 20", and thus 96 dpi.

If I have a page open in Word, the 210mm appears on the second monitor as 210mm. If I slide it over onto the other monitor, naturally it becomes larger, about 230mm. Which is what one would expect.

However, I would prefer that it was the other way round. The document to be correctly sized on the first monitor and thus become a bit smaller if I move it to the second.

I remember being here before and telling Word or the OS that I was using an 88dpi, which means also that 1:1 really means 1:1 in Photoshop and other important software. However, my ancient (77) memory is shot to pieces and I cannot find it. Since I did it before some years ago with W7, I can only think it is Mr Gates' bunch done something in W10.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Hmm...I've looked through the Control Panel Septimus and can only find options to increase size of text which isn't exactly what your looking for is it.

I have since had a flash of déja vu and remembered that it was in Photoshop that I was able to get the screen scaling the way I wanted it, and accurate.

In Photoshop > Edit Preferences > Units and Rulers you have the opportunity to enter (for my wants) 88 ppi under screen resolution, which makes photographs showing in 1:1 come out at the correct size.

I also remember some (at least 10) years back having to do the same sort of thing for MS Word, so that I could confidently set up the top of a page in a letter so that the address would show in the transparent window of a commercial envelope. I can only do that currently with Word by applying a scaling factor under 'View' of 91.5%... what a grungy thing to have to do.

It is not as if I want to be able to slide the document from one monitor to the other and keep it correctly scaled... I understand if the ppi of each screen are different, then it has to bigger on one than the other, but I would like to be able to do it myself. It should be, like Photoshop, a preference in Options for MS Office.

@kemical - thanks for trying...

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
I'll ask a buddy, he uses a dual screen set and may have a suggestion or two (fingers crossed). :)

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.