Windows 7 This is stable?

Hal9000

I'm getting frequent crashes. BSOD: symevent.sys / page fault in non_paged area. Any ideas? It always reboots fine, however.

We're going to need some more details in order to help you... like which version of 7 are you using.. 32 bit, 64 bit for starters... ;)

OK, sure. I'm running the 32-bit version. I'm using an old, minimally-equipped system - looking for trouble, you might say ;-)

Mobo: MSI 848P Neo
1.8 GHz Pentium 4
1GB ram
GeForce4 MX440 64 MB
40GB Seagate HD

has this system ever run another OS with no problems ?

whats the ram you have is it two sticks or one ?

are all the devices in device manager installed ??

Yes, this is a well-functioning, reliable computer that has been running XP pro for years.

2 sticks of ram, nothing out of order in Device Manager.

symevent.sys seems to be part of some anti-virus applications like norton internet security. windows 7 has known issues with all kinds of anti-virus software, try uninstall any security software and see if that helps.

I have Symantec Endpoint Protection installed on this machine. I will uninstall and see what happens.

Yeah, I really wouldn't put any AVs on 7 unless you're looking at Kaspersky, or Avast. All others seems to have conflicts in some way or form.

AVG Free Edition is also a good one to use on Win 7.. I'm using it on Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit editions and have had no problems at all with it.. (I also used it on the pre beta builds 6801 and 6956 without any problems..) Some have but I haven't so I'm saying it's ok to use.. ;)

Norton

I tryed the Norton trial, had absolutely no problems at all. But it was only good for 2 weeks, makes it hardly worth the download.

OK, I've uninstalled SEP, and I'm going to see if I get any more BSOD. I might install AVG, but I'm going to run without any AV for a while...

In case anyone's interested, since I uninstalled SEP, the system does seem to be quite stable - no more BSOD!

Back
Top Bottom