Windows 7 Time to change to W7, which version?

robyholmes

Hi

I have had windows 7 on my spare marchine for a bit, and its very nice. I currently have the public beta. I would now like to upgrade my main rig. I currently have Vista 64bit and want to update to W7 64bit, but which daily build its fastest and most stable in 64bit? I most play games (Steam, TF2, HL2DM) that kind of thing). So which version for me? Do you reccomened waiting for RC in may, or is nothing going to change? Does HL2DM work? Its getting old and does have problems with vista?

If a torrent link would land in my mail box that would be great! Or even on here.

Thanks a lot

No torrent links will be posted on here, so you might as well forget about that happening.. ;) I'd suggest waiting for the RC to be released.. daily builds aren't ment to be used by the general public and won't work as well for some as build 7000 or the RC will.. :)

I'm not really 'General Public' and I thought they might not be links on here. Basicly I know there is 7057, 7068 and 7070 on the way out, which is the best? And which has a 64bit version leaked that is pretty stable? Or do I just drop back to the 7000 for now? I am wanting to upgrade, as I think its the right time. The daily builds seems to be very close to the final RC build.

Quite agree - don't put this on your main rig unless you plan to dual boot with XP/VISTA. You will have to remove it on August 1 or thereabouts, well before the final release.

The right time to upgrade is when the RC is done.. whether or not a daily build is 'close' to or 'similar' to the RC the fact remains that it is NOT the RC... ;) A daily build is useless in my opinion.. Sure it shows how Microsoft is coming with Win 7 but that's it.. it's not ment to be used by the general public and in most cases causes more problems than anything simply because people rush out to download them not knowing anything about them, than they use them as their primary OS... ;) Thus all the threads on here reporting problem after problem with an interim build... I have to admit though, alot of those threads do provide some good laughs...

As I said before, I would suggest sticking with build 7000 for now as it is rock solid and very stable/useable, than once the RC is released get that and do a clean install.. :)

Upgrading in my opinion is just a waste of time.. Some would argue that upgrading is better because you don't lose all your files and you don't have to reinstall all your apps.. yeah well if people made regular backups in the first place then they wouldn't have to worry about losing all their personal files.. As for reinstalling apps, if a person gets pissed off because they have to clean install a BETA or even an RC OS (which of course results in having to reinstall all your apps) than they really shouldn't be using them in the first place... ;) It's those people that are using these interim builds as their main OS than bitching when something goes wrong with it...

I wasn't looking to 'Upgrade' as in install W7 over Vista, it would be a clean install, I have never upgraded and operating system, cos its not a good way!

I am see what you are saying about the RC, and I think I will wait, hopefully the May release is correct and its a good build.

Thanks
Rob Holmes

Impressed

I have been for years been running Windows Xp Prof and Linux Ubuntu different version. Tried Vista and decided that I would emmigrate to Linux when Xp would Microsoft terminated support. Now I have tried Windows 7 Beta Build 7000 and Windows Build 7068 on different machines at home. I am inpressed. So far I have not experienced crashes or blue screen as in XP. When Windows needed drivers or detected new hard ware, it downloaded it automatically drivers from internet. The 7000 Beta needs a grahic card with 128 MB or 256 MB either as PCI, AGP, PCIe etc. 7068 seem to be anble to run on old pc's without modern grahic card. Just installed build 7068 Ultimate on an old Compaq Deskpro Pentium III with CPU x86 Family 6 Model 8 stepping 10 996 Mhz, 512 RAM, 40 GB disk and grahic card NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 with memory 16 MB. The resolution is 1024x768. No problems with resolution.

Before I have tried Beta on Compaq EVO, DELL GX 260,270,280 and HP Compaq d 530 all with different versions of Pentium 4 and HP Compaq dc 7700 (Intel Core 2 Duo) All machines except d 530 and dc 7700 needed new grahic cards.

At work we have several hundred new Dell machines with Core 2 vPro with XP installed. The machines had preinstalled Vista which was downgraded too XP. I think we eventually now will upgrade to Wintows 7

Generally I am critical to Microsoft, but so far I am impressed by Windows 7. Provided that Microsoft charge XP users a decent upgrade price, I think most home users will upgrade to Windows 7. Maybe Microsoft ought to offer a upgrade package of Windows 7 and Office 2007 to XP users that now use XP and office 2003. For my part I would like a multiple user licence since I have several pc,s at home.

robyholmes I think is just looking for some info on what people feel is a good build to start with, he knows rc will be here soon, Roby, I have been running 7048 and find it great no compatibility issues and I run a pretty heavy gaming machine, Call of Duty 5 and Fallout3 run amazing

robyholmes I think is just looking for some info on what people feel is a good build to start with, he knows rc will be here soon, Roby, I have been running 7048 and find it great no compatibility issues and I run a pretty heavy gaming machine, Call of Duty 5 and Fallout3 run amazing

Thanks a lot.

I am a bit 50/50 with changing (Fresh install people!), I have had vista installed for over a year and its starting to clog up a little, I have cleaned the reg and done a overhaul the over day, and its back on form again, but not 100%. I did have windows 7 on my spare machine but don't spend much time on it at all, as it has a P4 3.2Ghz HT CPU, so speed isn't great, looking at getting a PD E5200 later in the year. I was basicly wanting to try windows 7 and get a feel for it. I run a small repair/building business in my local area, and getting some knowledge on the OS before would be nice. I find the best way to do that is to use it yourself and find problems.

I was looking for the best build at the mo, or should I wait, but May is a bit off. I will probs install the RC when it turns up, but easter is here and college is shut for 2 weeks, I got to have something to play with! And windows 7 might just be it?

Any other thoughts, I looked at other posts and 7048 seems to be good. I know 7068 were coming and 7070, anybody using that?

I would say just use build 7000, and then install the RC when it comes out next month. I would recommend dual booting as well, rather than replacing vista.

As for games, TF2 works fine, as does HL2, so I think HL2MP (Deathmatch) should work, though I didn't test it.

OT: btw, you play tf2 as well? cool, my steam is fiveofeight in case you wanna play with me.

in case you wanna play with me.

I would be careful of what you write in the internet my friend!

I will think about it, what are the differences in 7000 to 7048? Any new features or just back end changes? Its mianly navigation and fixing the OS I am looking for, so I can learn to use it.

I ask about HL2DM as it runs on a old source engine, and has problems with vista and server commands crash it. (One min the server has 16/16 players, the next its 2/16 and 1 min later everyone is back joining and saying 'Damn you vista crash'.

I don't want to dual boot, as it means a slow boot time, just becomes a pain. I have my spare machine with vista so if anything does go wrong I can use that, and I have a fully working image of my vista install, as I try to reinstall it every year (But not this year, I was waiting for W7)

I would be careful of what you write in the internet my friend!

I will think about it, what are the differences in 7000 to 7048? Any new features or just back end changes? Its mianly navigation and fixing the OS I am looking for, so I can learn to use it.

I ask about HL2DM as it runs on a old source engine, and has problems with vista and server commands crash it. (One min the server has 16/16 players, the next its 2/16 and 1 min later everyone is back joining and saying 'Damn you vista crash'.

I don't want to dual boot, as it means a slow boot time, just becomes a pain. I have my spare machine with vista so if anything does go wrong I can use that, and I have a fully working image of my vista install, as I try to reinstall it every year (But not this year, I was waiting for W7)

I have to disagree with you. Dual booting doesn't mean slow boot times.. unless your doing in on an ancient pc.. ;)

I have to disagree with you. Dual booting doesn't mean slow boot times.. unless your doing in on an ancient pc.. ;)

Maybe not slow boot times, but the option is there. I tend to switch PC and leave it to boot. And so the option list will show for like 30 seconds before booting defualt. I like to keep my HDD in 1 and use 1 OS, make life simple!

I see what your saying, but you can change that boot screen to only display for 1 second if you wanted to.. ;) EasyBCD allows you to modify the boot manager to your liking.. to each his own.. :)

on a gaming note.... any game that requires punkbuster to work online will not work!!!!! doesn't matter what build. i honestly dont 100 percent agree with radenight on the builds, i used 7000 x64 for two months and now am on build 7048 x64 until the public RC1. there is nothing wrong with them and they work just fine. anyway just wanted to offer my two cents.

If you have about 50 minutes to spare there is no reason not to upgrade to build 7068. I did it and didn't lose any of my files or settings. Plus, it comes with IE8 (not beta). MS has done a lot of work on Windows 7 since releasing build 7000 and only improved it each time. I don't play many games but I'm FOLDING@HOME on a dual core and a GPU while watching video, surfing, etc.... 50 minutes...Go for it!

Some good feedback there thanks.

So either:
7048 x64
7068 x64
Anything about 7070 been out?

I don't play any punkbuster games at the min. I only have COD4 and thats not a great loss, not played it in a bit.

What Nvidia drivers are you guys using? There are a lot out at mo! I have a 8800 Ultra.

No sign of 7070 in the wild yet! I personally think the later Vista drivers work better than 181.71 currently offered for Windows 7. I'm using 182.50 now and its a stable all rounder. 182.08 not so stable. The 185.xx work for some when playing certain games but from what I've read they are not very stable.

Back