Windows 7 Too many pictures.

banderson2066

so i was reformatting a computer and the backup i had of it went bad. I was able to use recuva from piriform to get all the pictures back, but what I didn't notice was that it found everything single picture, even from the temp file. So, now I have a 100> Gb folder with every picture ever looked up on the computer. is there any program that can go through and find all the pictures that arent meant to be put on there and delete them? the temp picture names are like 8 charecters long and the majority are almost like boxes, like you would see when creating a button for a page or something. Any thoughts? help is very aprecciated.

Many of the unwanted ones will be very small (thumbnails, website pics etc) so try ordering them by size and copying across the largest.

i should have thought about that, thank you patcooke. is there any way to determine the ones that were viewed on facebook for instance and would have a larger file size? all the real ones i know of were taken by camera.

I avoid Facebook like the plague it is but I very much doubt if pictures viewed on Facebook will be all that big. Pictures from a camera are almost certain to be 1MB+ in size and I don't see Facebook using the bandwidth to upload and store that size of pic (although I may wrong).

theres really no way to tell. i took out all the pictures less than 250KB but there are some real pictures that are 500KB and some facebook ones that are 4MB. Is there a program that can tell the difference by looking at the metadata?

Not familiar with any program which can sort on metadata. Different sources (camera manufacturers, apps etc) adopt a range of naming formats - you may be able to identify and sort using wild cards to distinguish some of those.

Back