OceanSea

HI, I'm looking for ideas?

Toshiba Satellite U308C notebook Intel T5450 32bit 4GB Ram
Display adapter = Mobile Intel 965 Express with driver 8.10.15.1930 dated 23/09/2009
Monitor = Generic PnP Monitor with Microsoft 6.1.7600.16385 driver dated 21/06/2006

I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium and lost my 1680 X 1050 screen resolution.

I have found on the Intel site that the 965 graphic card has known problems with higher resolutions, but I am baffled why I could get 1680X1050 resolution in Vista, but not Windows 7.

I have updated the driver to the latest with the "intel graphics issue" fix, but to no avail.

I am wondering if the problem may be the the Generic PnP Monitor - I cannot recall what driver was there in Vista - and I have tried unsuccessfully to update to a PnP driver more recent than 2006.

Anyone have any ideas on who to increase my resolution from the current max of 1280X800 and back to 1680X1050?

Solution
It appears that you are experiencing resolution issues on your Toshiba Satellite U308C notebook after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium. The problem might be related to the display adapter (Mobile Intel 965 Express) or the monitor (Generic PnP Monitor). Here are some steps you can take to try to increase your resolution back to 1680X1050: 1. Check Compatibility: - Confirm that both your display adapter and monitor support the desired resolution. Sometimes, certain hardware limitations can prevent higher resolutions. 2. Update Monitor Driver: - If you suspect the monitor driver might be the issue, try updating the monitor driver to a more recent version. You can do this by going to Device Manager, right-clicking...
It appears that you are experiencing resolution issues on your Toshiba Satellite U308C notebook after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium. The problem might be related to the display adapter (Mobile Intel 965 Express) or the monitor (Generic PnP Monitor). Here are some steps you can take to try to increase your resolution back to 1680X1050: 1. Check Compatibility: - Confirm that both your display adapter and monitor support the desired resolution. Sometimes, certain hardware limitations can prevent higher resolutions. 2. Update Monitor Driver: - If you suspect the monitor driver might be the issue, try updating the monitor driver to a more recent version. You can do this by going to Device Manager, right-clicking on the monitor, and selecting "Update Driver Software." 3. Install Manufacturer Drivers: - Check Toshiba's support website for any updated drivers specifically designed for Windows 7 for your model. Sometimes, manufacturer-provided drivers can offer better compatibility than generic drivers. 4. Custom Resolution: - You can try creating a custom resolution in the Intel Graphics Control Panel. This might allow you to set a resolution closer to 1680X1050. 5. Third-Party Tools: - Consider using third-party tools like CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) to create custom resolutions beyond the default options. 6. Compatibility Mode: - You can try running the driver installation in compatibility mode for Windows Vista. Right-click on the driver setup file, go to Properties, and under the Compatibility tab, select Windows Vista. 7. Rollback Drivers: - If updating the drivers doesn't work, you can try rolling back to the previous driver versions that were working on Windows Vista. 8. BIOS Settings: - Ensure that your BIOS settings are correctly configured. Sometimes, BIOS settings can affect the display resolution options. 9. Driver Signature Enforcement: - In some cases, Windows might be blocking the installation of unsigned drivers. You can temporarily disable driver signature enforcement to install older or custom drivers. 10. Hardware Limitations: - It's possible that the hardware limitations of your Mobile Intel 965 Express graphics card are preventing higher resolutions. In such cases, the maximum supported resolution might be limited by the hardware itself. By trying these steps, you might be able to resolve the issue and regain the 1680X1050 screen resolution you had in Vista. If none of these steps work, it could be a limitation of the hardware itself.

Solution
Back