Camila Pereira

Hi! First of all, as I couldn't find a cause, I didn't know where to post this thread. If I posted somewhere wrong, please, move it to the correct place. Thank you :-)

Today, I was using my laptop normally when, out of the blue, my touchpad started to behave strange. It would not move around the screen by itself, but its functions were all messed up. I tried reinitialization, restoring the system, removing and installing the synaptics driver, removing the driver again and installing no driver. Nothing worked. In safe mode was the same. The "touch click", however, worked a little. The touchpad now can't be used.
It's Win7 Home Premium 64bit. I was using at that moment, SKype, Opera, Gom Player, iTunes, firewall Comodo, antivirus Avira, Yahoo widgets and other system softwares I can't remember.
What can I do???

PS: After plugging a USB mouse, it would behave the same as the touchpad. I disabled the touchpad and the mouse started behaving correctly. I turned on again the touchpad and it is now partially working (right button doesn't work at all).

Last edited:
Solution
It sounds like you are experiencing some unusual behavior with both your touchpad and USB mouse on your Windows 7 laptop.
Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:
1. Check for Updates:
- Ensure that your Windows 7 operating system is up to date with the latest updates and patches.
2. Mouse Settings:
- Go to the Control Panel and check the Mouse settings. Make sure the settings are configured correctly for both the touchpad and external mouse.
3. Driver Issues:
- Since you've already tried reinstalling the Synaptics driver, let's try a different approach.
- Uninstall the touchpad driver completely. Restart your laptop and let Windows reinstall the driver...
It sounds like you are experiencing some unusual behavior with both your touchpad and USB mouse on your Windows 7 laptop.
Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:
1. Check for Updates:
- Ensure that your Windows 7 operating system is up to date with the latest updates and patches.
2. Mouse Settings:
- Go to the Control Panel and check the Mouse settings. Make sure the settings are configured correctly for both the touchpad and external mouse.
3. Driver Issues:
- Since you've already tried reinstalling the Synaptics driver, let's try a different approach.
- Uninstall the touchpad driver completely. Restart your laptop and let Windows reinstall the driver automatically.
- For the USB mouse issue, uninstall the USB mouse driver as well and let Windows reinstall it.
4. Third-Party Software Interference:
- Sometimes, third-party software can interfere with the touchpad and mouse functionality. Try temporarily disabling or uninstalling programs like Comodo Firewall, Avira antivirus, and any other security software to see if they are causing conflicts.
5. System Restore:
- If this issue started recently, you can try using System Restore to revert your system to a point where the touchpad and mouse were working correctly.
6. Hardware Check:
- If the issue persists, there might be a hardware problem with the touchpad or the USB port. You could seek assistance from a technician to diagnose and fix any potential hardware issues.
7. Additional Notes:
- The fact that the touchpad partially works after toggling it on and off suggests there may be a software-related issue. Ensuring drivers are up to date and resolving conflicts with third-party software might help.
You can try these steps one by one to see if any of them resolve the problem with your touchpad and USB mouse. If the issue persists, it might be beneficial to seek further assistance from a professional or a tech support forum for Windows 7.

Solution
Back