Transfer Cables

Running W-7 X64 Enterprise, which to Transfer Files from my XP PC . Can I just use USB cable or do I need special Transfer Cables?


Microsoft MVP
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
You could set up an ethernet connection with file sharing or ftp but if the need to transfer files is just a one off job then it would be easier to use an external hard drive.

You do need a special USB cable that has the inputs and outputs reversed on one end.

They're not terribly expensive...

F5U279 Belkin Easy Transfer Cable for Windows® 7

Or you can connect your old hard disk into your new computer, take ownership of it and copy your files that way.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.