Windows 7 Tricky Keybard and Touchpad Issue

Travis was Here

Ok, so here is the breakdown. I have a Sony Vaio Model # VPCEB47GM. I know Windows 8 is not compatable with this machine, however; I thought whats the worst that could happen. A couple years ago, I installed Windows 8 defiantly against Sony and it caused nothing but issues. (I know this is a WIN7 Forumn, but keep on reading). When initially installed Windows 8, I was forced to uninstall the keyboard and touchpad drivers from this machine. It didn't matter to me, because I didn't plan on using this as a laptop at the time, more like a desktop with a 24" monitor. I continued on this way for a year, got a new desktop and wanted to go back to using this as a laptop.

I thought it would be as simple as just reloading the drivers and that didn't make the keyboard and touchpad work again. I reloaded Windows 7 back on again and downloaded and reinstalled the drivers again. Didn't work. I ordered the original system disks from Sony and loaded on the original system image, didn't work.

I don't get what is happening here. You would think that installing the original system image loaded even loaded with all Best Buy's BS would work, at least to get the keyboard and touchpad working again and then I could reload a fresh copy of Windows 7 back on. However, when I try to install the touchpad driver it tells me that this driver is not compatible with this system. Which is strange as I am getting the drivers directly from Sony.

The keyboard works in the bios, and if the bios accepted the touchpad functionality I bet that would work to, so I know it is not a hardware issue, or could it be? I am open to try anything to get this to work. I have tried all Sony's secrets and I will not pay them $115 to work on this... seems silly to spend that kinda dough on a 4 yearold laptop. I am at a loss and I am really needing some help. If there is anyone that wants to take a crack at a solution to this, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Travis,
I took have a Sony Vaio (Model VGN-FW139E; July 2008) and have rebuilt it several times on the Vista it came with. Recently I have rebuilt it on Windows7 Ultimate, and had many problems weird problems we can discuss later. Right now, I have some ideas for you to try and some questions to ask. I repair computers for a living these days, used to design them, so see what you think.

The #1 reason that laptops over 3 years of age fail is due to failed hard drives. You may or may not know this. When drivers that came on the laptop from the Factory once worked but no longer worked, this is almost always the cause about 85% of the time. The other 15% of the time it's some sneaky hidden virus that's causing the problem or simple human error in not correctly reloading Windows on the computer.

With that being said, is the laptop that came with your Vaio the original hard drive? Or has it been replaced?
Also, it sounds like you are the original owner of this laptop; is this correct? Or did you buy it used online or from a friend, Craig's list etc.?

If you HAVE replaced the hard drive; did you replace it with a new drive or a used one? This is critical that you answer this question.

Since it's only 4 years old, let's go with the assumption that you've NEVER replaced the hard drive and go from there first.

Have you tested that hard drive? If so, with what Diagnostics, and what specific results? Next have you tested your RAM memory sticks? Again, if so, with what Diagnostics and what result?

Sounds like I ask a lot of questions, right? Think of me as the Computer Doctor in the ER for the moment. I have to ask all these questions to get a good diagnosis.

Ok, even though you don't think it's a hardware problem, I think you've left some troubleshooting you've done out from your post. Or perhaps you just haven't done those items.

Using the Sony FACTORY RECOVERY DISCS is always a good idea; since if the built-in RECOVERY PARTITION that is on most modern Vaio's can become corrupted since it also lives on the hard drive that came inside your laptop. Did you attempt to run the built-in RECOVERY PARTITION? If so, did it fail and that's why you ordered the FACTORY DISCS from Sony?? If this is the case, it's HIGHLY likely that your entire hard drive failed.:waah: I'll suggest some tests you can try here in a minute to make that determination.

From your Post, I noticed that you did NOT mention whether or not you did a low-level format over the existing Windows8 partition prior to reinstalling the Windows7 from the Vaio Recovery Discs. This is also a possibility as to why it's failing to recognize drivers. Windows7 Recovery Discs cannot overwrite the special codes that Microsoft writes into Track0 and Track1 of the hard drive with a Windows8 load. You need to use special Linux tools to low-level format the hard drive in order for that to work. Most home Users are not aware of this. Microsoft does this to protect their software licensing against piracy. You didn't mention whether the Windows8 disc you used was a LEGIT media or not, but if it's not and it didn't come in Microsoft retail boxed packagin or is a copy from a friend's; it's quite likely it's no good. These are things you will have to tell us. Folks don't often mention if they are using LEGIT M$ media or not unless we ask them directly--it's just assumed. After you run my hardware tests, you can use Derik's Boot & Nuke to low-level format your hard drive (if it passes the tests) and it should then work. You can download free via Google or as part of the UBCD disc from UBCD.com.

Next, here are the suggested hardware tests you need to run..
First download the free SEATOOLS drive test program from seagate.com and create a boot test disc. The SEATOOLS program is in ISO file format, so you will need to download the free IMGburn program to burn the SEATOOLS ISO file onto a blank CD or DVD disc. Once you do this, you may wish to test it on another working computer. Change the boot order preference on your machine to boot from your CD/DVD drive and run the SEATOOLS program. Ensure that you run BOTH short and long tests. If SEATOOLS returns any errors, your hard drive has failed and must be replaced. :waah:

Next, download the free memtest86 program (you can google), and create a bootable disc with IMGburn in the same fashion you did with SEATOOLS. Run memtest86 on each stick of RAM that your have individually; in other words, remove all RAM sticks and test with memtest86 1 stick at a time for a minimum of 8 passes. Repeat for each stick. If memtest86 returns any errors, that stick of RAM has failed and must be replaced. Finally, reinsert all RAM sticks back into their Motherboard slots (1-2 slots typically) and run memtest86 1 more time for minimum of 8 passes. If memtest86 returns any errors; you could have mismatched speeds or types and will need to replace your RAM sticks in matched pair sets. Continue to run memtest86 until you have all sticks running for 8 passes without error. **be aware that if you have 2GB RAM sticks or larger it may take 12-24 hours to achieve the full 8 passes. Of course longer with all your RAM sticks installed on the Final test; so be patient**

If you have replaced any hardware per above test recommendations such as hard drive or RAM stick(s); you will of course need to reload your Windows7 from your purchased SONY RECOVERY DISCS as before. If you replaced your hard drive with a brand new drive; you should have no problems reloading Win7 and everything should now work.:D

If however, you replaced your hard drive with a used drive and you don't know what was on it; e.g.: Win8/8.1/10 etc. you will need to run the DBAN (Derik's Boot & Nuke) program to low-level format the drive first! Then load your SONY RECOVERY DISCS and all should be well.

There are a couple of gotchas I've told you about, and this will require 1-2 weeks to do all the testing and answer all my numerous questions.; so be patient! If you cannot, or cannot wrap your head around all this I have a quick solution for you to try.
**Remove your existing HDD, replace with a BRAND NEW HDD, and reload Win7 from your SONY RECOVERY DISCS. If it fails to work, it's most likely you have a failed Motherboard. Repair cost is $175-$400 US or more at that point.** Very simple.

I suggest if you have more time than money to solve this; answer back my questions, and run my hardware tests. Replace any failed hardware (hdd or RAM) and reload your Win7 from SONY RECOVERY DISCS. It should then work! If it doesn't you probably have a failed Motherboard as per discussion above. :waah:

Let us know how you are doing and we will advise your further.

Best of luck to you,:thumbs_up:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Last edited:
Hi Travis,
I took have a Sony Vaio (Model VGN-FW139E; July 2008) and have rebuilt it several times on the Vista it came with. Recently I have rebuilt it on Windows7 Ultimate, and had many problems weird problems we can discuss later. Right now, I have some ideas for you to try and some questions to ask. I repair computers for a living these days, used to design them, so see what you think.

The #1 reason that laptops over 3 years of age fail is due to failed hard drives. You may or may not know this. When drivers that came on the laptop from the Factory once worked but no longer worked, this is almost always the cause about 85% of the time. The other 15% of the time it's some sneaky hidden virus that's causing the problem or simple human error in not correctly reloading Windows on the computer.

With that being said, is the laptop that came with your Vaio the original hard drive? Or has it been replaced?
Also, it sounds like you are the original owner of this laptop; is this correct? Or did you buy it used online or from a friend, Craig's list etc.?

If you HAVE replaced the hard drive; did you replace it with a new drive or a used one? This is critical that you answer this question.

Since it's only 4 years old, let's go with the assumption that you've NEVER replaced the hard drive and go from there first.

Have you tested that hard drive? If so, with what Diagnostics, and what specific results? Next have you tested your RAM memory sticks? Again, if so, with what Diagnostics and what result?

Sounds like I ask a lot of questions, right? Think of me as the Computer Doctor in the ER for the moment. I have to ask all these questions to get a good diagnosis.

Ok, even though you don't think it's a hardware problem, I think you've left some troubleshooting you've done out from your post. Or perhaps you just haven't done those items.

Using the Sony FACTORY RECOVERY DISCS is always a good idea; since if the built-in RECOVERY PARTITION that is on most modern Vaio's can become corrupted since it also lives on the hard drive that came inside your laptop. Did you attempt to run the built-in RECOVERY PARTITION? If so, did it fail and that's why you ordered the FACTORY DISCS from Sony?? If this is the case, it's HIGHLY likely that your entire hard drive failed.:waah: I'll suggest some tests you can try here in a minute to make that determination.

From your Post, I noticed that you did NOT mention whether or not you did a low-level format over the existing Windows8 partition prior to reinstalling the Windows7 from the Vaio Recovery Discs. This is also a possibility as to why it's failing to recognize drivers. Windows7 Recovery Discs cannot overwrite the special codes that Microsoft writes into Track0 and Track1 of the hard drive with a Windows8 load. You need to use special Linux tools to low-level format the hard drive in order for that to work. Most home Users are not aware of this. Microsoft does this to protect their software licensing against piracy. You didn't mention whether the Windows8 disc you used was a LEGIT media or not, but if it's not and it didn't come in Microsoft retail boxed packagin or is a copy from a friend's; it's quite likely it's no good. These are things you will have to tell us. Folks don't often mention if they are using LEGIT M$ media or not unless we ask them directly--it's just assumed. After you run my hardware tests, you can use Derik's Boot & Nuke to low-level format your hard drive (if it passes the tests) and it should then work. You can download free via Google or as part of the UBCD disc from UBCD.com.

Next, here are the suggested hardware tests you need to run..
First download the free SEATOOLS drive test program from seagate.com and create a boot test disc. The SEATOOLS program is in ISO file format, so you will need to download the free IMGburn program to burn the SEATOOLS ISO file onto a blank CD or DVD disc. Once you do this, you may wish to test it on another working computer. Change the boot order preference on your machine to boot from your CD/DVD drive and run the SEATOOLS program. Ensure that you run BOTH short and long tests. If SEATOOLS returns any errors, your hard drive has failed and must be replaced. :waah:

Next, download the free memtest86 program (you can google), and create a bootable disc with IMGburn in the same fashion you did with SEATOOLS. Run memtest86 on each stick of RAM that your have individually; in other words, remove all RAM sticks and test with memtest86 1 stick at a time for a minimum of 8 passes. Repeat for each stick. If memtest86 returns any errors, that stick of RAM has failed and must be replaced. Finally, reinsert all RAM sticks back into their Motherboard slots (1-2 slots typically) and run memtest86 1 more time for minimum of 8 passes. If memtest86 returns any errors; you could have mismatched speeds or types and will need to replace your RAM sticks in matched pair sets. Continue to run memtest86 until you have all sticks running for 8 passes without error. **be aware that if you have 2GB RAM sticks or larger it may take 12-24 hours to achieve the full 8 passes. Of course longer with all your RAM sticks installed on the Final test; so be patient**

If you have replaced any hardware per above test recommendations such as hard drive or RAM stick(s); you will of course need to reload your Windows7 from your purchased SONY RECOVERY DISCS as before. If you replaced your hard drive with a brand new drive; you should have no problems reloading Win7 and everything should now work.:D

If however, you replaced your hard drive with a used drive and you don't know what was on it; e.g.: Win8/8.1/10 etc. you will need to run the DBAN (Derik's Boot & Nuke) program to low-level format the drive first! Then load your SONY RECOVERY DISCS and all should be well.

There are a couple of gotchas I've told you about, and this will require 1-2 weeks to do all the testing and answer all my numerous questions.; so be patient! If you cannot, or cannot wrap your head around all this I have a quick solution for you to try.
**Remove your existing HDD, replace with a BRAND NEW HDD, and reload Win7 from your SONY RECOVERY DISCS. If it fails to work, it's most likely you have a failed Motherboard. Repair cost is $175-$400 US or more at that point.** Very simple.

I suggest if you have more time than money to solve this; answer back my questions, and run my hardware tests. Replace any failed hardware (hdd or RAM) and reload your Win7 from SONY RECOVERY DISCS. It should then work! If it doesn't you probably have a failed Motherboard as per discussion above. :waah:

Let us know how you are doing and we will advise your further.

Best of luck to you,:thumbs_up:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I have done everything above... even replaced the harddrive with a shiny new SSD. Still a "No Go". I don't think it is a failed motherboard... and this is why I say that. Back when I originally installed Windows 8 fort the first time on this machine, it asked me to uninstall the drivers for the mouse and keyboard because of compatibility issues. When I did that, that is when everything went crazy. I just don't know why going back to windows 7, and reloading the drivers, this still will not work! It doesn't make any sense.

Any other suggestions?

Hi Travis,
it's been a while since we heard from you on this. Good work, but based on your response, most likely your Vaio Motherboard is bad. As you replaced the hard drive with an SSD drive, that covers the most common cause of this type of problem-a failed hard drive. If you tested your RAM as per my instructions and it passed it rules that component out; and it must be the Motherboard. In the last few months I upgraded my Vaio to Win7, and just yesterday upgraded it to Window10 without problems. *Win10 uses the same hardware drivers as Win8.1 at the moment*. I believe I've done a couple of Win7-Win8 & at least one Win7-Win8.1 upgrades on Sony's this year, again without incident.

This being said, the Sony's and others (Dell, HP, ASUS, Acer, etc.) I have upgraded to Win8/8.1 have worked for the most part, though some were more difficult than others. From what I've seen all major brands of laptops including Sony are capable from upgrading to Win8/8.1 from Windows7, even older ones like mine that originally came with Vista, as I mention with mine, it would surely do Win8/8.1 since I took it from Win7-Win10 on a Vista-era machine.

There are 2 possibilities you can explore to nail it down further:
1. You Sony Recovery Media could be faulty or damaged; order a new set directly from Sony. This will cost you from $29-$99 and will take 2-3 weeks to get it. Apply the new Sony discs to your Vaio and try to reinstall Windows7 again. If it works and your keyboard and touchpad work again; that was your problem. I don't see this very often, but, it does happen on occasion. If your Vaio discs weren't stored properly or protected and have scratches on the recording surface (bottom), this could be why those drivers didn't work correctly.

2. Replace the SSD drive with a brand new mechanical HDD drive, (I recommend WD drives for this), and run your original Sony discs with the reinstall. There may be some fault with the new SSD drive (you didn't mention what brand/model it was!); I haven't run into this problem, but others on the Forum here have. If your reinstall onto the new HDD drive works, that was the problem, and you'll have to check the settings in your BIOS to make sure you have AHCI and Legacy (CSM) Support settings disabled when you attempt the Sony disc reinstall. If this fails, then you'll have to BUY new factory Sony discs from Sony as in #1 above, and repeat the reinstall onto the new HDD. If this fails too, then clearly your Motherboard is Toast & must be replaced, regardless of your logic.

Lastly, because of the way different BIOSes treat SSD drives, and the requirements of having the right settings if your Motherboard supports AHCI, you may need to attempt a BIOS update to your Vaio, if you haven't already done so. You'll have to visit the Sony support site and download the lates BIOS update for your exact Vaio model, and flash it-apply it, and repeat options #1 & #2 again. If the reinstall fails to work with the HDD, and new Sony Factory discs, and you've updated your existing Motherboard BIOS to the latest shown on the Sony support site, clearly your Motherboard is bad and must be replaced whether you care to do that or not!

My particular Vaio was built in July 2008 and does not have the AHCI BIOS, so I didn't have to worry about any of that when I did the Win7 update in June or the Win10 update yesterday. Since I gathered your Vaio is newer than mine by a year or more, it was probably built in 2009-2010, the only way to know is to access your BIOS and look at what you have. If you can't find the AHCI-->SATA settings anywhere, even after a BIOS update, that laptop probably doesn't support it, and therefore you shouldn't be having all the difficulties you are having upgrading from Win7-->Win8/8.1; of course unless your Sony discs are bad as in Option #1 or the inescapable conclusion that your Motherboard has just plain failed. :cry_smile:

If you go through all this and still can't get it, you can always take it to a Computer Pro such as Best Buy-Geek Squad and pay to have them diagnose it--not cheap; around $85-$120 in US. It never hurts to get a 2nd opinion. After all, it may just be a few settings that you aren't aware of if your Vaio does indeed have the AHCI BIOS, and you'll be back in business. On the other hand, if the Tech goes through all the stuff I had you do, and attempts Option #1 & #2 above and still can't get it--you'll be left with an estimate for the cost of a replacement Motherboard from yet another Computer professional. At that point, you'll be left with the decision to spend the cash--$275-$400 replacement, or toss the laptop into your local recycle bin.

Best of luck & let us know how it turns out.
<<<BBJ>>>

Back