Windows 7 Trouble Personalizing desktop

Dan-E

I have a problem, if I try to change the desktop them , my screen goes black and starts flashing on and off, its the same if I go online, the only way I can get it back to my desktop is to click on the the personalize window in between flashs and click on the windows 7 basic them, then its normal again, It must have something to do with high contrast because it was ok until I click on high contrast, every thing else is working fine, one more thing I have a 250 gb sata hd, when I looked at the hd in properties, its telling me I have 172 gb used space and 60 gb of free space, this can't be right I just installed win 7 on wednesday,

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

I think we need to take a look at your video car.

Go to St rat Help and Support and type in Fix Aero.

Click on the open Aero troubleshooter and this will bring up a box to test your video card for capability with Windows Aero.

WE also need to know the exact name and model of your video card and it you have downloaded drivers from Windows update or directly from the manufacture.

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

I think we need to take a look at your video car.

Go to St rat Help and Support and type in Fix Aero.

Click on the open Aero troubleshooter and this will bring up a box to test your video card for capability with Windows Aero.

WE also need to know the exact name and model of your video card and it you have downloaded drivers from Windows update or directly from the manufacture.

hi thanks for your help, I opened Aero troubleshooter it told me my video card doesn't support Aero themes
I have onboard graghics but here is the name VIA Chrome9 HCIgP Family WDDM,

I can't recommend a certain card , but I would probably go with a mid-range or hi-end card to get the most out of your graphics.

On almost every Experience point Score posted, the video card was the lowest score.

Windows 7 likes a hi-end car.

I would suggest looking for Nvidia or ATI.

Shop arough, then look for the lowest price on a particular card you decide on, such as http://pricegrabber.com

thanks I'll do that, I have a few more problems with windows 7, I can't get my dvd-rom to work, I have a dvd-rw and thats working ok, do I have to delete the old files on my hd? I had winxp so I to do a clean install I thought all my hd would of been wiped clean but I have still 172 gb on the hd, is it safe delete them?

Yes, if you have previously saved your Documents, Pictures, Music, Video's ,etc, the C:\Windows.old file is of no use.

But that will no fix your DVD-ROM issue.

Go to Device manage and see if there are any yellow flags beside any item. Post back with the results.

BTW, how old id the DVD-ROM?

No I don't see any yellow exclamation, I clicked on update drive, after scaning it said the best driver software for the driver is already installed, I have noticed the my dvd-rw has its drive name (Optiarc) where as my dvd-rom is just named dvd-rom

This system is a home build and its about two year old the same as the dvd-rom, my mb is a asus M2V-MX, cpu AMD Athon 64x2 dual core 4400, and 2gb of ram

Hi, it didn't work me, I have win 7 on toshiba laptop and it works fine, so I'm going back to good old XP, for the time being, until they get win 7 sorted, I couldn't even get my printer to work with win 7
Thanks for your time and help

Before you buy a video card try this:

Click "Start" and type and enter "ap" to enter the appearance menu.
Click "best performance" then go back to "Let Windows choose.."

That fixed Aero for me after it had screwed up.

Let Windows choose what;s best for my computer only uncheck one entry
Showtaskbar Thumbail Previews

I myself have turned on Show Windows Contents while dragging as well (I hate that feature).

I highly doubt this one adjustment will have any affect on Aero working. I'd really would like to mess with the settings and see at what point it reverts back to Windows basic..not enough time.

If it does, my sincere apologies.

Last edited:
I highly doubt this one adjustment will have any affect on Aero working. I'd really would like to mess with the settings and see at what point it reverts back to Windows basic..not enough time.

Most "advice" is a guess. When/if he goes to the menu he may find some kind of info that will lead to a fix. His system / graphics probably doesn't support Aero but it won't hurt to experiment before going out and buying a new graphics card.

This should should have been asked a long time ago................

What i the exact make and model of your video card and where did you download the drivers from?

Back