Windows 7 Trouble with SMB Shares

Ilan

I'm having trouble with the SMB shares all of a sudden not working with my network. I don't really know how to even begin troubleshooting this issue. It's just all of a sudden my other devices on the network can't access them. The only thing I can do is reboot the computer that the shares are on. Then it all comes back up but it last for between 1-3 days until I have to reboot the system again.

It doesn't get disconnected from the network. I can still remote into it. I can still access the mysql server installed on it. It's just the smb shares that seem to go down.

Win7 64bit sp1 installed. There isn't much software installed because I consider this my main server. It is extremely annoying and any help would be appreciated.

Try this on the Windows 7 system and see if it helps.
You'll need to use the registry editor and go here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
On the right side double click LargeSystemCache and change the value from 0 to 1
And then here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
On the right side double click Size and change the value from 1 to 3
Reboot your machine and see if the problem is resolved.

Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

I would say this was a success. It's been 12 day and the system is still running. What did that registry change do to resolve the issue, and what was the issue.

Back