Windows 8 Trying to recover windows 8.1 but have 4 recovery partitions

Cecelia

I bought a Toshiba c55t-a5222 last year. I have only used this laptop five or six times. One day my tablet synced up with my laptop and now the laptop doesn't work properly. I am trying to recover my hard drive but it says it cant find the recovery partition. When I look in Disk Management I see 4 recovery partitions but it never works please help. When I do run recovery I get an error message that says

File:\windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code: 0xc0000001

The other message I get is when I try for just a Automatic Repair
Log file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
Which shows the following:

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
---------------------------
Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = C:\WINDOWS
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: System disk test
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Disk failure diagnosis
Time taken = 187 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 32 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Target OS test
Time taken = 46 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Volume content check
Time taken = 719 ms

Root cause found:
The operating system version is incompatible with Startup Repair

How can I fix this Laptop so I can use it again? Also my hard drive shows almost no available disk space pic is loaded below
I am running Windows 8.1 64bit

Attachments

• recovery pics.jpg
    recovery pics.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 466
  • drive.jpg
    drive.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 462
Assuming you haven't already done so, have you tried burning a set of recovery dvd's?

Assuming you haven't already done so, have you tried burning a set of recovery dvd's?
I have not done that yet, because I wanted it to be free of its current issues. I have been trying to factory restore with no luck because it keeps saying the recovery partition is hidden. Is there a way to get past this without having to wait for recovery usb from Toshiba

snip...
I am trying to recover my hard drive but it says it cant find the recovery partition. When I look in Disk Management I see 4 recovery partitions but it never works please help. When I do run recovery I get an error message that says
snip...
The other message I get is when I try for just a Automatic Repair
Log file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
Hi Cecelia,
Thanks for the pics they helped... it's not rocket science, the c drive is full up.
I recomend; Delete files until you have 10% free on the c drive and the defrag / recovery systems will work again.

Hi Cecelia,
Thanks for the pics they helped... it's not rocket science, the c drive is full up.
I recomend; Delete files until you have 10% free on the c drive and the defrag / recovery systems will work again.

Thats the problem. My c drive isn't full it just says its full. I have only the programs the laptop came with and the drivers.

By default windows doesn’t show you the;

1. Temp files,

2. System restore files,

3. Downloaded updates

4. Page files or file fragments (torrents partial downloads etc)

5. Trash bin, reserved space.

Given the age of your system and the fact you tried a recent file sink… I suspect that is how your system ran out of space.

1. Anything in the “temp” folder can be safely removed… navigate to (C: \users\your account name\appdata\local\temp) and press [ctrl] + [a], then [Delete]. Anything windows is still using like a winstore marker will not be deleted so you can’t do your system any harm.

2. How many system restore points have you got… I would only keep the first one.
Screenshot (48).png

3. Delete the bulk of your download folder… system updates are not in here so it’s safe to be trashed.

4. Delete the trash bin.

At that point (assuming you still show a full drive) I would backup any documents you don't want to lose to a usb drive or stick and format the system with a fresh windows 8 install… I know you have 8.1 now but I suspect the system started life as a windows 8… there should be a sticker on the back that says windows 8 or 8.1
th

I have already done that as well as disk defrag. I have scanned for malware and viruses but none. I have even run npe. As I scan with malwarebytes I noticed one file path which didn't look right.

C:\Users\Deborah\Deborah\DEBBIE\Data\$OF\......
There are many of these files and for 30 minutes + that batch of files that began with the above address scanned. I am not sure if this may be where all the storage has gone. But I do know disk cleanup freed up barely anything.

I have been trying to factory restore with no luck because it keeps saying the recovery partition is hidden.

Did you try a full restore (dumping files) or that refresh thing that tries to keep your old files... you can not do this with 8.1 over the top of 8.

Again was 8.1 on the system as a per-install or did it start life as 8?

It started with 8. I haven't had a successful try when attempting recover or refresh system.

If anyone needs screenshots just let me know and i will start snapping pics.

It started with 8. I haven't had a successful try when attempting recover or refresh system.

So doing it from inside windows doesn't work... have you tryed the bois recovery option as per the manual?

I'd be more happy getting a new blank hdd and installing windows on that as the above will format the hdd... note your windows 8 key is stored in the bios so that will not be buggered.

Back