Ubuntu 10.10 'Maverick Meerkat' Beta Available

Adamsappleone

U.S.Navy D.A.V.
Review Ubuntu fans, fire up your virtual machines. The beta release of Ubuntu 10.10 is here. Maverick Meerkat, as this release is known, is actually several weeks ahead of the original schedule, and that means Ubuntu 10.10 is on track for its final release October 10.

Possibly the biggest change in the Software Center isn't the interface: it's the inclusion of the "For Purchase" software section. As of the beta there's still no actual software to buy, but the interface is beginning to take shape. Unfortunately, in my testing, I was unable to login to Launchpad to even see the purchase screen. Eventually, the plan is for commercial Linux software to be purchased and installed right alongside the familiar free options, but for the beta, things are still a bit rough around the edges.
ubuntu_for_purchse_software_center.jpg
Source: Ubuntu 'Maverick Meerkat' erects own App Store ? The Register

Download Ubuntu 10.10 Beta: Ubuntu 10.10 Beta | Ubuntu

I have Mint on my desktop (which is customized Ubuntu plus codecs/etc.), upgraded to Maverick and running it the last few weeks. So far not a single crash/freeze. Looks like it might be a solid release. Waiting for final before I upgrade the laptop.

Back