Windows 7 Unable to access encrypted folders and files

jitender

Hi,
Can anyone please help me on this :-

I had mistakenly added a encryption to my one of the folder in D drive in Windows 7 and then had my Windows formatted and installed fresh again. The user from whom the encryption was initiated, is no deleted (as windows is formatted). Now when I access any of the file with the new Administrator user (on newly installed Windows), I'm not able to access any file. It says "You cannot access the file as you do not have permission to access". And all the folders and files in that folder is coming up in Green color.

Also, I have installed the hard drive (as external drive) to different system and took the ownership of the folder, But no hope there as well.

Can anyone suggest what to do, is there any third party software which can remove encryption ?
I have tried everything by righ-clicking and remove the encryption with Admin user But it do not work.
I have disbaled the encryption service from "Services.msc" as well, but it doesnt helped.

Please suggest

If this was encrypted with EFS then no you probably won't be able to recover the files. EFS encrypts based on the user logged in and it's SID so a re-install of Windows will create different SIDs so you're probably SOL.

If this was encrypted with EFS then no you probably won't be able to recover the files. EFS encrypts based on the user logged in and it's SID so a re-install of Windows will create different SIDs so you're probably SOL.

So, Sir is there any software available which can remove the encryption ?

Your only option would be a brute force attack to try and decrypt the data. Realistically you likely wouldn't crack the encryption in your life time.

Back