Administrator Permissions to Copy Folder Required - Help Needed

GeorgeCB

Good afternoon

I recently had to have Windows 10 reinstalled on my Acer laptop which fixed all my problems. The engineer replaced the HD and it the old HD which still contains all of my files is now acting as an external drive.

I can open individual files via the relevant apps but I cannot copy/move any of the files and folders back into the new C: drive. I have worked my way through endless YouTube tutorials but nothing works. So far I have tried applying full control to:

- the entire drive
- the User Folder
- the specific folder contained my files

but nothing works.

Any help/advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

George

Hello George,

I understand your frustration with not being able to copy or move your files and folders back to your new C: drive. Let's try a few troubleshooting steps to see if we can resolve the issue:

1. Check the ownership of the files and folders: Right-click on the folder containing your files, select "Properties," go to the "Security" tab, and click on "Advanced." Under the "Owner" tab, click on "Edit" and set the owner to your current user account. Tick the box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects," and click "Apply" and "OK."

2. Set appropriate permissions: In the same "Properties" dialog box, go back to the "Security" tab, click on "Edit," and then "Add." Type in your username and click "Check Names" to ensure it's correct, then click "OK." Make sure your username is selected in the "Group or user names" section, and under "Permissions for Username," make sure "Full Control" is allowed. Click "Apply" and "OK."

3. Disable any antivirus or security software temporarily: Sometimes, third-party security software can interfere with file operations. Try disabling your antivirus or security software temporarily and see if you can copy or move your files now.

4. Move your files in Safe Mode: Boot your computer into Safe Mode and try copying or moving your files from there. To boot into Safe Mode, restart your computer and repeatedly press the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears. Select "Safe Mode" from the list and press Enter. Once in Safe Mode, try copying or moving your files again.

If none of the above solutions work, it's possible that there may be some corruption on the old HD acting as an external drive. In that case, you might need to try running a disk check utility to scan for and fix any errors on the drive.

I hope these steps help you to resolve the issue and successfully copy or move your files back to your new C: drive. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,
[Your Name]

Didn't work. There is no "Owner" tab and I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by current user account.

Sorry George

Back
Top Bottom