Windows Vista Unable to complete Vista RC1 install

hanenbow

Hello,

I recently began an installation of Windows Vista, which seemed to progress fine, until it got to the final stage, where the configuration of regional settings, preferences, etc. are set. At this point after boot-up, I have no input control. Neither keyboards or mice (ps/2 and USB) have any influence.

My keyboard NumLock light stays on, but doesn't respond to any Lock toggling (similar to keyboard behaviour when a system has hung). After a while, if the energy-saving screen shut-off occurs, it still responds when I press the main power button - so it can't be a hang.

I still have keyboard control for BIOS setup and similar, before Windows starts, which suggests to me a driver problem within Windows. But I can't think of any way to solve it.

Also, I can't properly enter safe mode, as I'm given a message advising that the installation can't be completed in safe mode, and the system must be restarted. It doesn't seem to matter, though, as I'm not even able to 'Ok' this message box with either the keyboard or mouse.

I would be really grateful for any suggestions on what to try.

Many thanks!

Adam

Hi Adam,

Could you please provide some more information regarding the issue?

1. Is this a clean install of Vista or upgrade over winXP?

2. Is it the latest build? (5728)

3. Have you been using any other OS successfully on the same machine?

4. Which motherboard are you using and what is the BIOS version?

If you can provide this information it would be easier to come to any sort of conclusions and provide you with the most appropriate suggestions.

Regards,
Vikas

Back