Windows 11 Unable to connect to PC on same network, says wrong password but it is correct

King Mustard

Honorable Member
I have two PCs on my network, Upstairs-PC and Downstairs-PC. Both run Windows 11.

I recently had to reinstall Windows 11 on my downstairs PC.

Since then, even though I believe I have set up sharing as normal, when I try to access \\Downstairs-PC, it tells me my credentials are incorrect.

Both computers are logged into my Microsoft account.

I have tried entering my Microsoft email address as my username, as well as Downstairs-PC and .\Downstairs-PC.

For the password, I have tried both the system password and the password to my Microsoft account. Neither are working.

I have disabled the firewall on both systems, just in case.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
SMB does not understand MS accounts. You will need to setup a local account and grant it access to that share

SMB does not understand MS accounts. You will need to setup a local account and grant it access to that share
I have tried changing the account type to a local account on the Downstairs-PC and using Downstairs-PC as the username and the downstairs PC's Windows password as the password but I'm getting the same issue.

Pretty sure . will only work from a local console session. Machinename|IPaddress\localusername

Back
Top Bottom