Windows 7 Unable to Detect SDHC Card on Windows 7

kukujiao

Does anyone face this issue?
When i put in my 8GB SDHC card on my card reader built in by my Acer Laptop, windows will always ask me to format the disk.However when u want to format, it will fail and stated that the disk is write-protected which is actually not.

I then insert the card on Vista, there is no problem with Vista / XP platform which i've tried both.

Any solution guys?:(

Does anyone face this issue?
When i put in my 8GB SDHC card on my card reader built in by my Acer Laptop, windows will always ask me to format the disk.However when u want to format, it will fail and stated that the disk is write-protected which is actually not.

I then insert the card on Vista, there is no problem with Vista / XP platform which i've tried both.

Any solution guys?:(

I've never experienced such symptoms on my Acer netbook.

I have an Acer Aspire 5672 WLMi , about 3 years old. I have never been able to get XP or Win 7 beta or RC to recognize
my SDHC cards. I can however use these cards with no problem in Ubuntu Linux or PCLinuxOS 2009, so the hardware is up to it.

You must have a later version of this card reader because at least your machine sees the card even if you can't use it.

If your card reader is a Texas Instruments device check the TI web site for Win 7 drivers.

Attempting to use Device Manager to update the drivers returns the message that the drivers installed are already the best.

I use a nifty adapter made by Trancend that looks like a thumb drive with a slot on the side of it sized for the SDHC card.
You simply plug the card into the slot and then plug the adapter into a USB port.

UPDATE: A google search for the TI PCIxx12 Integrated Flash Media drivers came up with this

Link Removed - Invalid URL

This is a direct link to a driver up date that did the trick for me in Win 7 RC. W00T

Maybe it will work for you.

I'm gonna try it on XP Pro.

UPDATE 1: Works with XP too. Looks like Texas Instruments finally got their act together for Windows drivers for this device.
The neat thing is that Linux beat them to it by about a year. LOL.

Last edited:
I have an Acer Aspire 5672 WLMi , about 3 years old. I have never been able to get XP or Win 7 beta or RC to recognize
my SDHC cards. I can however use these cards with no problem in Ubuntu Linux or PCLinuxOS 2009, so the hardware is up to it.

You must have a later version of this card reader because at least your machine sees the card even if you can't use it.

If your card reader is a Texas Instruments device check the TI web site for Win 7 drivers.

Attempting to use Device Manager to update the drivers returns the message that the drivers installed are already the best.

I use a nifty adapter made by Trancend that looks like a thumb drive with a slot on the side of it sized for the SDHC card.
You simply plug the card into the slot and then plug the adapter into a USB port.

UPDATE: A google search for the TI PCIxx12 Integrated Flash Media drivers came up with this

Link Removed - Invalid URL

This is a direct link to a driver up date that did the trick for me in Win 7 RC. W00T

Maybe it will work for you.

I'm gonna try it on XP Pro.

UPDATE 1: Works with XP too. Looks like Texas Instruments finally got their act together for Windows drivers for this device.
The neat thing is that Linux beat them to it by about a year. LOL.

wow..thx brother..i will try it at home later again..hopefully this will help :razz:

Are you sure that your card reader can read SDHC? Just because it can read SD, doesnt mean that it will read SDHC. I have run into that problem here in the office numerous times with the media card readers here in the office - people bring in SDHC cards, but our readers are only SD.

Are you sure that your card reader can read SDHC? Just because it can read SD, doesnt mean that it will read SDHC. I have run into that problem here in the office numerous times with the media card readers here in the office - people bring in SDHC cards, but our readers are only SD.
In my case and if the OP's cardreader is the same as mine then yes it can. We're not talking about standalone multi card readers here but a built-in Texas Instruments device. ( Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia SD card device).
It's a matter of having the right/latest drivers installed. A big clue is the ability of these cardreader's to function with SDHC cards in Linux. The driver set I linked to is the latest from Texas Instruments and worked with my cardreader in both XP and Win 7, before installing them XP and Win 7 both wouldn't even see SDHC cards.

I've been waiting for a year now for TI to get their s*it together on this issue. This post caused me to revisit it resulting in me finding the new drivers. Thank you, kukujiao for jogging my memory. I hope these drivers work for you.

Last edited:
I think that this si a Win 7 issue: I have a 4 Gig SDHC which is identified as such under Vista, but not Win 7.

I don't see where the OP has reported success or failure with the driver set I posted??

The drivers worked great with my Win 7 install.

I having the same problem with windows7, I have a built in card reader, on my Sony Vaio. V. Vista see's the card. So Driver issue or windows 7?

I having the same problem with windows7, I have a built in card reader, on my Sony Vaio. V. Vista see's the card. So Driver issue or windows 7?

Has anybody but me tried the updated TI drivers?? If you have a TI reader these will probably work.
This is a driver issue. There card readers work fine with SDHC card in Linux and apparently Vista too.

I install Build 7127, and this fixed the problem

I personally wouldn't install/trust a leaked release. But that's just me.

How about some feedback folks. Has anyone besides me tried the newest Texas Instruments drivers I posted a link to for this Acer built-in cardreader or am I wasting my time here in this thread. Especially interested if the OP got his cardreader to work.

I guess I could do that... But that would be another hassle. There should just be an update.

There is an update.

Last edited:
hi ya...sorry have been busy...
i 've installed the driver u provided, however it successfully can read 1 time..after that when i put my SDHC card in again, it will not work. After i restore back windows Vista, the problem is solved again..i guess that the RC 1 cant detect my built-in card reader

hi ya...sorry have been busy...
i 've installed the driver u provided, however it successfully can read 1 time..after that when i put my SDHC card in again, it will not work. After i restore back windows Vista, the problem is solved again..i guess that the RC 1 cant detect my built-in card reader
Thank you for the feedback. Sorry the updated drivers didn't work for you. Acer must be using a different cardreader than the one in my Acer.

Thank you for the feedback. Sorry the updated drivers didn't work for you. Acer must be using a different cardreader than the one in my Acer.

haha is ok dude..u have helped me at least.. i think windows 7 not yet stable yet...
let's wait for the released version :razz:

I have the same problem, windows just wants to format my card and when i try that i get "Windows was unable to complete the format"

I tried the drivers you posted fjgold, problem is they aren't that new (Jan 2007), same version is on HP's site (computer is a HP 9420).

Ti should update their drivers! :mad:

Back