Windows 7 Unable to install Win 7 64 bit to update from XP

MikeG

Honorable Member
Hi, I have purchased the Windows 7 Professional to update from XP. I did all the pre-purchase downloads and checks, and got all the ticks. When installing the 64 bit DVD, I get the following error message “This installation disc isn’t compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer’s system information. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and the select Custom (advanced)â€Â￾, don’t even get the option to custom install. I put the 32 bit DVD, custom installed and all worked OK. Put the 64 bit DVD and still get the same error. I am running 4GB Ram & 3.4GHz processor. Hoping someone can help as would really love to run W7 in 64-bit mode.

If you are on Windows XP and planning to UPGRADE...

YOU MUST DO A CLEAN INSTALL. There is no upgrade path. There are user migration tools you can use, but you will need to backup your files and do a "clean" install

If you are on Windows XP and planning to UPGRADE...

YOU MUST DO A CLEAN INSTALL. There is no upgrade path. There are user migration tools you can use, but you will need to backup your files and do a "clean" install

Hey.. leave a few easy questions for me! haha

Windows 7 Installation Guide / Tutorial - Windows 7

\"MikeG\" said:
This installation disc isn’t compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer’s system information. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and the select Custom (advanced)”, don’t even get the option to custom install.

It means the upgrade option from XP was not reserved by Microsoft. Custom install should be available to you if you have the complete 7 installation DVD.

So, as it was mentioned many times before :

reghackr said:
YOU MUST DO A CLEAN INSTALL. There is no upgrade path.

A clean install might be easy for a pro, but challenging for an amateur. Will do some research for instructions on how this is done. Suggested sites would be appreciated.
I used the word update as had difficult trying to find a similar scenario (excuse my ignorance), so hopefully could be of help for other PC amateurs.
Thanks to all.

It's not that hard

An upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-insatllall your 3rd party applcations.

Back