Windows 10 Unable to install Windows 10 on a clean SSD

ThomasM

Recently I swapped out my motherboard, RAM, CPU, and purchased a new SSD to install on with a Windows 10 disk. Prior to swapping parts, my system was absolutely fine, GPU included. I booted from the CD drive to install Windows 10, and everything seemed to go fine, and it "installed" the necessary files and restarted. What happened next is when the computer booted up, it showed my MOBO screen, then it got smaller and centered, loading icon for about 10 seconds, and then I get the message, "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click 'OK' to restart the computer, and then restart the installation". Upon doing so, the same message will appear no matter how many times I restart. I went into the command prompt and changed the setup ID from 1 to 3, and that fixed that message from appearing. Unfortunately I now have to deal with a slew of BSOD error messages that appear once by one every restart, and each time it's a random error. Only one time I made it to the desktop by some miracle, and shortly thereafter, it crashed to BSOD from one of the errors, and I haven't been able to get back since. They are:

bad_pool_header
resource_not_owned
whea_uncorrectable_error
clock_watchdog_timeout
system_service_exception
APC_index_mismatch
driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
kernel_security_check_failure
DPC_watchdog_violation
reference_by_pointer
machine_check-exception

They appear in no particular order, Windows will show the BSOD with "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." and then the error message with no error code. I have heard memory can be a common culprit in causing PC problems, and I am currently running memtest to see if errors are found. I am trying to pin point this to a software or hardware issue, and would like some help as to what may be causing the issue. Thanks!

Mobo: EVGA Classified K
CPU: i7 6700k
PSU: Corsair 850W
GPU: EVGA GTX 770
RAM: G Skill ripjaws V series 4 x 4gb
SSD: Samsung 850 series pro

Do you have acess to bios? I had the exact same problem earlier. They flashed my motherboard and updated my bios. Most likely because of the hardware updates I made.

Not very knowledgeable, just thought I might offer some help!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Windows Forums mobile app

So, your saying that your system, which is a self-built rig, was running previously on W10 ok? My guess is you have a bad SSD hard drive. Just so you know we W10 Insider Testers have only tested 3 brands of SSD drives that are known to work with W10. They are Intel, Samsung, and Kingston. You have a Samsung SSD; so it's definitely compatible with W10.:D Did you buy that Samsung SSD brand new or was it used? Make sure to ONLY use brand new SSDs for W10 installs; to do otherwise invites lots of weird "hinky" behavior.

If you can use your old mechanical hard drive, or purchase a new one of similar capacity, I would first suggest that you remove the SSD drive completely from your rig; and reinstall/install a mechanical drive. Reinstall W10 from your W10 install media. That should work for sure, as that's how you had your system running before. If not, you could have experienced a coincidental RAM failure, so you'll need to test your RAM sticks as here:
MEMORY DIAGNOSTICS:
Memory Diagnostics

Make sure to run a FULL 8 passes on MEMTEST as mentioned to test. With 16GB RAM this could take up to 24 hours continuous or longer. Replace any and all RAM sticks that return errors on MEMTEST, and retest your W10. It should work now if any RAM failures were identified and remediated.

At this point, if you put a mechanical drive back into your rig and MEMTEST passes or you replaced any bad RAM Sticks found, and you can't get W10 to run, it's likely your Motherboard is not compatible to W10 or has failed and must be replaced. Going back to the old mechanical drive will be conclusive proof that your Mobo is toast if this doesn't work.:waah: If it does work, chances are that your Samsung SSD is simply defective and needs to be returned to the place of purchase or replaced. You can use cloning software such as free MACRIUM REFLECT to clone over the good working image from your mechanical drive to the new Samsung SSD drive to get everything going again.

Let us know how it goes!
Best of luck,:encouragement:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Do you have acess to bios? I had the exact same problem earlier. They flashed my motherboard and updated my bios. Most likely because of the hardware updates I made.

Not very knowledgeable, just thought I might offer some help!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Windows Forums mobile app
I have access to the BIOS, so all they did was flash to the newest version and it fixed it?

So, your saying that your system, which is a self-built rig, was running previously on W10 ok? My guess is you have a bad SSD hard drive. Just so you know we W10 Insider Testers have only tested 3 brands of SSD drives that are known to work with W10. They are Intel, Samsung, and Kingston. You have a Samsung SSD; so it's definitely compatible with W10.:D Did you buy that Samsung SSD brand new or was it used? Make sure to ONLY use brand new SSDs for W10 installs; to do otherwise invites lots of weird "hinky" behavior.

If you can use your old mechanical hard drive, or purchase a new one of similar capacity, I would first suggest that you remove the SSD drive completely from your rig; and reinstall/install a mechanical drive. Reinstall W10 from your W10 install media. That should work for sure, as that's how you had your system running before. If not, you could have experienced a coincidental RAM failure, so you'll need to test your RAM sticks as here:
MEMORY DIAGNOSTICS:
Memory Diagnostics

Make sure to run a FULL 8 passes on MEMTEST as mentioned to test. With 16GB RAM this could take up to 24 hours continuous or longer. Replace any and all RAM sticks that return errors on MEMTEST, and retest your W10. It should work now if any RAM failures were identified and remediated.

At this point, if you put a mechanical drive back into your rig and MEMTEST passes or you replaced any bad RAM Sticks found, and you can't get W10 to run, it's likely your Motherboard is not compatible to W10 or has failed and must be replaced. Going back to the old mechanical drive will be conclusive proof that your Mobo is toast if this doesn't work.:waah: If it does work, chances are that your Samsung SSD is simply defective and needs to be returned to the place of purchase or replaced. You can use cloning software such as free MACRIUM REFLECT to clone over the good working image from your mechanical drive to the new Samsung SSD drive to get everything going again.

Let us know how it goes!
Best of luck,:encouragement:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
I previously ran Windows 7 on a 128gb Crucial SSD and it worked fine. I bought a copy of W10 and tried installing on a 512 GB Samsung SSD that is brand new. I'll try flashing the BIOS first, and if that doesn't work, I'll plug in my old one and change the connection setting from ACHI to IDE (someone said that works to keep the same bootable system).

I ran a 9 hour memtest with absolutely 0 errors on anything, so that clears the possibility of bad memory. I never used a mechanical drive as a bootable drive, only SSD's. I'm assuming the old SSD that I used to boot from is freaking out about all the hardware changes and that's why it won't boot without a clean install.

I have high hopes for the BIOS flash option, do you know how long it usually takes to flash?

Flashing and installing Windows 10 did not work, whea_uncorrectable_error. I'm trying Windows 7 again...

I changed the Child ID again to 3 and tried Windows 7, got the desktop and installed some drivers, then it crashed with BSOD...restarts so fast I can't get a good look at it. Got back to the Desktop and slowly attempting to install drivers...

Last edited:
So I can get to the desktop with my GTX 770, but in device manager it only shows a vga device as a display adpater. Randomly the computer will bluescreen and show a uncorrectional hardware error. I tried the ATI card and it appears in the device manager, however, it will just randomly flicker on the screen for a second and restart automatically.

I'm trying the onboard graphics right now to see what will happen.

ime getting parts from a site that doesn't bother to maintain its support page is never a good idea.
Screenshot (179).png

Interesting post. Kemical is a BSOD expert you should ask for his help with this matter.

So it's not the graphics card, can a bad motherboard be the culprit? Even without a GPU installed, I can get to the desktop, but seemingly at random times about 2-3 minutes ill get an uncorrectable hardware error (BSOD) or an irql_not_less_or_equal. I got bad_pool_header_once, but I haven't seen it again yet. I'm planning on sending this board into Newegg for an exchange, memtest cleared the memory, the GPU isn't doing it, I highly doubt the it's the processor. It's either the motherboard or SSD in my opinion...but would a bad SSD even allow you to install Windows 7 and get to the desktop?

For Windows installation, I got past the completing installation part and before it got to the desktop it bsod'd with the uncorrectable hardware error and then restarted and got to the desktop. I immediately popped the mobo driver cd and attempted to install the drivers, and after installing the chipset driver and having me restart, it still crashed to the same bdod error and booted up to the desktop again. I don't get the bsod crash everytime I boot up, it just seems random.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Windows Forums mobile app

Try it without using your driver cd. Sometimes the cd that comes with the mobo are out of date. I prefer to get mine off line from the manufacturer. I have found out that is not necessary since windows downloads all the drivers you need. They do for me anyway. If checking for updates I just open Device manager and check that way.

Try it without using your driver cd. Sometimes the cd that comes with the mobo are out of date. I prefer to get mine off line from the manufacturer. I have found out that is not necessary since windows downloads all the drivers you need. They do for me anyway. If checking for updates I just open Device manager and check that way.
I go to the website to download the latest drivers and I get bsod'd before I can get them all. I'm planning on exchanging the board for a new one, as it isn't unheard of for there to be faulty motherboards. I'll try to get the newest drivers today, though, on a clean install of windows 7. I'm forced to install the old drivers to allow my lan ports to function so...but even before I install any drivers I sometimes get the bsod and crash. It almost seems random snd I'm not sure what is triggering it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Windows Forums mobile app

It's looking like your Mobo is bad. I would still suggest you grab your dump files and send them to kemical to make sure. I'd also go the route I suggested about attempting a clean install of W10 onto an older mechanical drive. If your Mobo can't handle that, it's certainly got a fault of some kind and not worth more than a doorstop at this point:waah:. You should also TEST the SSD drives you are using! Even new SSD drives we have seen fail here right out of the box! Of course, this usually doesn't happen with the 3 brands we mentioned, which includes your Samsung. But, it's certainly possible, just as with your Mobo, it's electronics and can get damaged in trucks and moving on pallets and such with fork-lifts in warehouses. Don't know if you've ever worked in a warehouse, but stuff does get dropped and breaks without ever knowing it. Not the fault of the board manufacturer, since the product's already been tested and QC'd. This happens in the distribution channel. That's why folks like newegg and cdw take returns without question on items like Mobos and SSDs.

Also, I don't have any experience with EVGA Mobos, so I don't know how good they are, but gamers seem to like them. They also make a good GPU card. You might consider switching brands to ASUS or MSI Mobos.

BBJ

Back
Top Bottom