Windows 7 Unable to run CHKDSK, just keeps booting normal

robertpri007

I made the huge mistake of adding/installing Windows Live. Since then, nothing but errors and problems and I cannot UNstall Windows LIve [it won't let me, even in safemode] nor can I open the Windows LIve folder. [folder is corrupt and unreadable]

Several error msgs tell me to run CHKDSK, so I try, using

computer > C > properties > tools

It says it must schedule for the next reboot. I click to agree and reboot, and it just goes to normal mode. Then the splash screen says I have errors and to run CHKDSK

Open an elevated command prompt. Type the following, press enter, then follow the simple instructions:

chkdsk /r

Many thanks, but it does the same thing.
Open elevated CMD
type chkdsk /r
enter
it comes back to say it must be done on reboot Y/N?
I type
Y
enter
reboot

goe straight to windows splash screen and says there are corrupt files--run chkdsk

I also cannot use restore to any earlier date because RP first checks the drive and finds corrupt file, and then says to run chkdsk before attempting to restore to a previous point.

grrrrrrgh!

In the elevated command prompt, first run this command:

sfc /scannow

When that process completes, try the chkdsk /r command again.

You're welcome.

Make sure you're actually using an elevated prompt, meaning "run as admin".

That was the first thing I did [recalling my XP days]
It creates a CBS which I opened in notepad. [after some work]
It said that it corrected most of the errors, but not all, and created the cbs.log
99% okay, but here are the errors which I don't understand

Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"autochk.exe" of Microsoft-Windows-Autochk, Version = 6.1.76
00.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope =
1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neu
tral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2010-10-18 19:05:55, Info CSI 000002f4 [SR]
Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"autochk.exe" of Microsoft-Windows-Autochk, Version = 6.1.76
00.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope =
1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neu
tral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2010-10-18 19:05:55, Info CSI 000002f5 [SR]
This component was referenced by [l:202{101}]"Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364
e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385.WindowsFoundationDelivery"
2010-10-18 19:05:55, Info CSI 000002f8 [SR]
Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:22{11}]"au
tochk.exe"; source file in store is also corrupted

One more really odd thing. I said this horror story began when trying to install Windows Live.

As I try to open some files, like my voice activated Word program, the message says:

"(that voice program).exe is corrupt and unreadable IN THE FOLDER C:\PF\CF\MS Shared\Windows Live.

I know my voice program has never been inside Windows Live.

I open my Folder Lock security program with the same results. Files I open that have no connection to Windows Live, come back with error codes inside Windows Live

If you have another machine with the same architecture (32 bit if 32 bit or 64 bit if 64 bit) - then copy C:\Windows\System32\autochk.exe to a USB drive or across the network to copy over the file on the problem machine at the same location. Reboot.

Thanks.
I make a dynamic file/file backkup to two other hard drives every week, so I have a perfect source. [a bit obsessive about backups]

I tried to copy/paste, but of course ran into that highly annoying "you don't have permission" thing.

Finally solved that, and will try later, but I'm 72 and have been chasing this for hours.

Old man needs his sleep.

many thanks--will try in the morning

I finally booted to my backup drive, formatted the primary, and then copied from the backup to the primary.
Rebooted, and after some minor updates since the last backup, all is well. I have no idea what happened, but thanks all for the great information.

Back
Top Bottom