Under promise, Over Deliver?

Matt

Senior Member
#1
So, do you think that the reason that Microsoft is keeping quiet about Windows 7 is because they don't want people to get excited, see it in beta for 1 or 2 years, and when it comes out, there so bored that they bash it, like with Windows Vista. So, think they prefer the Apple approach, where the keep quiet till it's out, and then everyone is excited about it.

I sort of think that the latter is true.
 


#2
I think it's a smart move, look at the response to Vista and Leopard when they came out. "Everybody" hated Vista and "everybody" loved Leopard. When the truth is that Vista > Leopard.
 


Kyle

New Member
#3
Roman said:
I think it's a smart move, look at the response to Vista and Leopard when they came out. "Everybody" hated Vista and "everybody" loved Leopard. When the truth is that Vista > Leopard.
I wouldn't say that. Vista is like an overprotective bodyguard, with an IQ of 12. It does a good job at keeping you safe, but it's stupid, and doesn't perform as well as its non-mentally challenged older brother. Sure it looks nice, but the truth is, the nerdy older brother is doing better in life.

Vista is Windows Me2.
Leopard is actually a decent OS.





As for the OP's idea, it would probably be in their best interest to focus more on new features than fancy and useless UIs. If they do that, it won't matter if they show off before release.
 


#4
I think it's more a matter of waiting until they're sure they're actually going to do something before they announce it.

Plus, as always, Microsoft doesn't want to distract people from the current version of Windows. We didn't know very much about Longhorn when XP was as young as Vista is now.
 


#5
Kyle said:
Vista is like an overprotective bodyguard, with an IQ of 12. It does a good job at keeping you safe, but it's stupid.
Vista is actually very intelligent and efficient when compared to XP. See adding RAM to XP does not make it any faster unless you had a program (like a game) that used it. Vista will recognize if you have a few gigs of RAM (which is common now) and will preload your most frequently used apps (SuperFetch) to make everything faster. Just to give an example there of how Vista uses what XP wastes.

How is Vista "overprotective?"

Kyle said:
As for the OP's idea, it would probably be in their best interest to focus more on new features than fancy and useless UIs. If they do that, it won't matter if they show off before release.
That's what they did in Vista, there main focus was on new features and NOT a fancy UI. Vista is packed full of new features (voice recognition, non-destructive disk partitioning, ReadyBoost, SuperFetch, BitLocker, etc.).
 


Kyle

New Member
#6
Those are not all new features, and most of those are actually software microsoft bought and integrated into vista. Bitlocker was bought from a defunct company (Which I believe was called Intrinsik) Voice Recognition was available in XP, Readyboost delivers less than a 1% advantage in any REAL benchmarking tests, and the disk partitioner is far from being a stable product.

And yes, it was a main focus to develop a fancy UI, Direct X 10, and Aero Glass were a huge part of Vista's development, as was the completely useless sidebar.

As for how Vista is over protective, have you ever tried to install anything on a fresh, defaulted copy of Vista? There's this thing called UAC, and it's f---ing retarded. Everyone I know has me turn it off for them as soon as they get it. (Not to mention revert them back to XP a month later when Vista pisses them off)

Superfetch is a good addition, but again, it needs to have an on/off menu. Using it on anything under 2 GB of ram hinders a system, and the majority of people are still at 1 GB. (1.36 GB is actually the calculated average according to a few surveys I've seen).

Vista is a piece of junk.
 


Matt

Senior Member
#7
Your forgetting that the biggest new feature in Vista is that it's more secure. And yes, UAC is annoying for when you are installing the stuff for the first few days, but after, it doesn't bother you. And Linux has the same thing, unless you run as root (which makes linux just as secure as XP running as admin).

And yes, you can turn off superfetch. Go to start>services and then disable the service superfetch.

And btw, Voice recognition was not included in Windows XP, you either had to buy it from someone like Dragon, or get Office 2003. And Office 2003's voice recognition didn't work in other apps, life firefox or wlm.
 


#8
Hmm,you guys got pretty much off topic...
 


Kyle

New Member
#9
Matt said:
Your forgetting that the biggest new feature in Vista is that it's more secure. And yes, UAC is annoying for when you are installing the stuff for the first few days, but after, it doesn't bother you. And Linux has the same thing, unless you run as root (which makes linux just as secure as XP running as admin).

And yes, you can turn off superfetch. Go to start>services and then disable the service superfetch.

And btw, Voice recognition was not included in Windows XP, you either had to buy it from someone like Dragon, or get Office 2003. And Office 2003's voice recognition didn't work in other apps, life firefox or wlm.
I'm not sure if it's just my XP then, or what, but I have voice recognition included with Windows XP Professional Corporate Edition SP3. Maybe it was third party, but it installs with Windows, so....

Anyways, I understand you can disable superfetch, as I have done so on my 7-M1 Edition (Vista+ as I call it) and others computers. The thing is, for the average user, they wouldn't have any idea where to do that. The average user doesn't fish around in the services tool.

UAC is a horrible addition, and I don't know a single person who uses it. They would have been better off to leave it out. If you're like me (and you probably are if you're here) you are always installing and uninstalling, tweaking and changing your computer's software. UAC is just an annoyance. But hey, I guess it would be good for those just learning, except they'd probably just click yes all the time anyways, as they have no idea what they're doing.
 


Matt

Senior Member
#10
Well, I use it on my desktop, and I'm not constantly installing stuff, because I like to have my stuff always working, and I don't always need new stuff.

And anyway, Linux and Mac OS 10 has it, and as far as I know, you can't disable it on those Oses.
 


Rick

New Member
#11
Your forgetting that the biggest new feature in Vista is that it's more secure.
It may be more secure, but that's not saying much when it comes to Windows.
 


This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.