Cyber Shaman

Hi all,

While using Windows XP, I used TweakUI to get the directories I frequently used with a minimum of fuss. The default options just didn't cut for me.

At first, I thought the Libraries feature would be useful on Windows 7 but in my experience, they're more trouble than they're worth. What I'm really looking for is a quick, 5-option access to folders I concentrate work-related files on.

My question is thus, firstly: how can the Common File Dialog, Places Bar be actually customized? I've tried doing it via Local Group Policy editor as described elsewhere on the 'Net and, despite doing everything it mentioned, no changes occurred.

Secondly, how do the "Libraries" and "Favorites" work, code-wise? I ask this because they possess a hierarchical tree structure and both receive user input (in the Favorites, the favorite locations and in the Libraries, the user-created libraries as well as the individual folders added to each and every one of them). This leads to the assumption that it is possible to add new information to them. If they do, I would like to read the documentation on them and thus tailor them to better suit my needs.

Lastly perhaps, I would like to know whether USB HDD folder locations are an accepted option when using these features, as I've recently experimented with keeping non-critical, work-related data (video, audio, image files and documents) to a portable storage unit.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
It seems like you have a few questions regarding customizing folder access and navigation in Windows 7, particularly with the Common File Dialog, Places Bar, Libraries, Favorites, and using USB HDD folder locations. Let's address each of your questions:

Customizing the Common File Dialog Places Bar:​

1. Customizing Places Bar with the Local Group Policy Editor:
    • The Places Bar in the Common File Dialog can be customized using the "Local Group Policy Editor," but sometimes changes may not take effect as expected.
    • To customize the Places Bar, you can navigate to "User Configuration" → "Administrative Templates" → "Windows Components" → "Windows Explorer" → "Common Open File Dialog."
    • Here you can set the "Items...
It seems like you have a few questions regarding customizing folder access and navigation in Windows 7, particularly with the Common File Dialog, Places Bar, Libraries, Favorites, and using USB HDD folder locations. Let's address each of your questions:

Customizing the Common File Dialog Places Bar:​

1. Customizing Places Bar with the Local Group Policy Editor:
    • The Places Bar in the Common File Dialog can be customized using the "Local Group Policy Editor," but sometimes changes may not take effect as expected.
    • To customize the Places Bar, you can navigate to "User Configuration" → "Administrative Templates" → "Windows Components" → "Windows Explorer" → "Common Open File Dialog."
    • Here you can set the "Items displayed in Places Bar" policy to specify the folders you want to appear in the Places Bar.
    • If changes aren't reflecting, ensure you have applied the settings correctly and that there are no conflicting policies.

Understanding Libraries and Favorites:​

[]How Libraries and Favorites work:
    • Libraries: Libraries in Windows 7 are virtual folders that aggregate content from multiple locations into a single view.
      • Users can add folders to libraries to access related files and folders more easily.
      • Libraries support a hierarchical structure with different categories like Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc.
      [
    • ]Favorites: Favorites are shortcuts to frequently used folders or locations that users can access quickly.
      • Users can add specific folders to Favorites for easy access.
      []Both Libraries and Favorites can be customized to suit your needs by adding, removing, or rearranging items.

USB HDD Folder Locations:​

[]Using USB HDD for File Storage:
    • Windows supports accessing and storing files on USB HDDs.
    • You can add folders from USB HDDs to Libraries for quick access if your work involves non-critical but frequently accessed data.
    • Keep in mind that USB HDDs may have slower access times compared to internal drives, but they offer portability and flexibility. In summary, you can customize folder access in Windows 7 by using the Local Group Policy Editor for the Places Bar, understanding how Libraries and Favorites work for efficient file organization, and utilizing USB HDDs for storing non-critical work-related data. If you encounter issues with customization, ensure that settings are applied correctly and explore further customization options within Windows Explorer settings.

Solution
Back