Windows 7 Unexpected shutdown problem

Hui

I am running Windows 7 64 bit with a Dell 755 PC.

If the PC is disconnected from broadband, and it is idle for several minutes, when I wake it up from sleep mode, the PC can shut down unexpectedly (then it is rebooted automatically).

If the PC is connected to broadband, it does not have any problem.

I have updated to the latest version of BIOS, but it does not solve the problem. The problem repeats itself each time I disconnect from broadband and let it idle for a while.

What can I do ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

My first thought would be update or replace the network adapter drivers. Are they on the motherboard or a separate card?

The Intel 82566DM-2 network driver is on the motherboard. And according to the device manager, it is the latest..

Anything else I need to check ?

Is it a Windows or Intel driver?

Try disabling the adapter from Network and sharing center, adapter settings. Then try it. From the way you describe the problem the error occurs when it wakes up and tries to connect.

You might check the power settings, there is a wireless adapter setting, but I did not see a wired one.

Check Device Manager and choose properties for the network adapter, under power management, try changing some of those settings.

Try opening an administrative command prompt and typing powercfg -energy and make note of where the report is stored before closing window. Normally takes about a minute. It is best to close down all open programs.

Last edited:
The adapter sharing has been disabled...

I am now using Intel driver. For the power management properties, what do you suggest me to make changes ?

PS: should I expect this to be a PC bios problem or Win 7 problem or else ? When I was using Vista, the system was very stable.

Thanks for your help.

PS: should I expect this to be a PC bios problem or Win 7 problem or else ? When I was using Vista, the system was very stable.
It may be a confirmation. Maybe the report will mention something.

Have you checked the Event Viewer to see if anything shows errors or warnings that might help lead to basic problem.

Do you have any software that connects to the internet?

How about firewalls or anti-virus programs?

2010-02-18_003242..jpg

This is the event view after my system crashed down (After I disconnect from broadband, then the system goes idle, then it is waken up, then connect to broadband, then it crashes suddenly).

It seems that there is a problem (event ID 41). How should I fix it ?

It is a little hard to tell from the picture. I do not show a RasClient on my system, at least not errors. Try expanding that to see what it mentions. I probably can't help, but we can look and maybe send the info to Microsoft.

Do you have any type of remote computer connections? This might even be related to the Homegroup, which I do not use.

Back