Windows 7 Unregister Windows 7

ahmuhnnaeatchoo

Hi there,

I purchased Windows 7 home upgrade version on advice from a sales rep. I had been using windows Vista Home premium so I was advised the Home upgrade copy of W7 would be all I needed. Upon purchasing and installing the upgrade, I later realized I could no longer perform backups to a network location (a feature I once had with Vista).

As I cannot return this product anymore, and I also do not wish to spend money on finding a program that allows me to backup to my Network location, there were other components to this 'upgrade' I did not like nor feel had been worth the purchase. Greatly disappointed in losing a very essential component, I had to downgrade to Vista.

I would like to try and sell my purchased copy of Windows 7 but am trying to figure out if I first need to unregister it and, if so, how I can do that?

Thanks.

Are you sure? Windows 7 backup is generally and overall far more robust then was the backup in Vista. When you run the setup your backup application and click the add network location button, what happens, you should be able to browse to a network location and add the proper username and password credentials to save your backup there.

Hi there. Thanks for the response.
If you search on the net you'll see that the Home Premium copy does NOT have a network backup option. Example: Windows 7 Home Premium Won't Have Backup - Tom's Hardware

All other copies of Windows 7 have it. I had Vista Home Premium, could perform network backups, was advised all I need is the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade so I purchased it and installed, THEN found out (after it was too late) that network backup was NOT available for this version.

I don't feel like debating the right and wrong or the "have I tried (this)" scenarios, or going back to lecture the sales rep since their is no point, as it's not their job to describe every feature in and out. Another Windows forum had others (along with myself) discussing this very complaint and it was indicated that although it is a crap thing, Microsoft won't be changing/fixing this as it's not an issue to them. They're content to leave those of us upset at losing this feature to deal with it or lose our business by switching to a Mac.
I really just want to know if I can unregister my copy and hopefully salvage some of my loss (and frustration).

Thanks.

You need window 7 professional to do network backups. You can do any "anytime upgrade" to professional for $89.

I don't think you have to unregister windows before you sell it, as long as you are no longer using the key.

Is it definitely confirmed that the license will still work if I sell it?
I thought it was one install only so I want to make sure that if I sell my copy, and since I had it installed and registered to myself, but have now uninstalled/downgraded to Vista, it will work.
Thanks.

I thought Win7 licenses were non-transferable.

Perhaps I don't fully understand how Microsoft Product Activation works, but doesn't Microsoft collect hardware configuration profiles of computers sharing a registration code, and actively compare hardware profiles to find when a code has been used on a second machine?

Last edited:
I don't know or understand it either once it's activated, which is why I would really like to know the answer. Since it's essentially useless to me now, I would really like to try and sell it but first need to figure out if anyone will be able to register it if they do buy it from me.

I think that if Microsoft were to stop windows working because of duel use of the key, they might have a law suite or two for invasion of privacy. But I would bet my last pound that they do collect the information anyway ;-)

Basher

Is it definitely confirmed that the license will still work if I sell it?
I thought it was one install only so I want to make sure that if I sell my copy, and since I had it installed and registered to myself, but have now uninstalled/downgraded to Vista, it will work.
Thanks.

If your copy is retail then you can sell it on with the key as long as it is not installed or in use on any other pc :D

the only time you are restricted is when you have a system that came with the operating system and has an OEM disk and key, which is Original Equipment Manufacturer license, this license belongs to the hardware it was sold with and is non transferable :cool:

I don't know about win 7, but I've used my windows xp oem disk on several different computers with no problem. As long as it's only running on one computer.

If your copy is retail then you can sell it on with the key as long as it is not installed or in use on any other pc :D

the only time you are restricted is when you have a system that came with the operating system and has an OEM disk and key, which is Original Equipment Manufacturer license, this license belongs to the hardware it was sold with and is non transferable :cool:

How many installs, total, does one get with the Home Premium copy?

How many installs, total, does one get with the Home Premium copy?

only one :frown:

I have to point out these are not physical limitations but legal limitations set by Microsoft , what you actually do with your disk is up to you :cool:

I personally choose not to abuse the license and enjoy having a clear conscience to allow me to sleep at night :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom