unusal behaviour - windows or PC?

ajhearne

Anyone come across this unusal behaviour of my PC? It seems to at random turn off at the base unit; I have to unplug it at the back and then plug it

Could this be Windows 10 problem or the PC?

It is an Intel i5
1tb hard drive
6GB Ram
Windows 10 Pro
make is a Fujitsu Q9000

No viruses or malware have been found. Use Avast - also ran Malwarebytes said Linked In App for Chrome virus but removed that and Chrome, problem still persists.

The windows 10 clock also goes out of sync - 5 minutes or so.

If I go away for hour or so watch TV on big TV it does not go off.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have to unplug it at the back and then plug it
Hi,
were you going to finish the above sentence with 'back in again'?

If your having to remove the power cable and then reattach it to get the pc going again could mean either the cable or PSU is faulty.

If you have another power cable try using that or borrow one from a friend.

The windows 10 clock also goes out of sync - 5 minutes or so.
This might down to a bios battery which needs replacing.

Try running these scans and see if they help:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Thanks. What I mean by crashed is the base unit just turned off itself - will look at the power cable

Did same crash when did scannow in safe mode

I have also ordered a CMOS battery to see if this helps as well.

Will advise further when have update

Interesting.. Thanks for posting this and hope all goes well. Post back if not.

Ok thanks - an update that I've tried in different mains area not in the surge protector it is in and left it on it's own nothing in background running, in 25 minutes not crashed.

I will leave for hour or so and see if it still remains on then do a scannow and Norton scan and see if it happens again.

Been advised machine is not overclocked as not possible to do on those type of mini PC.

Will let you all know if I have to get an engineer and what outcome is to help others.

Quick scan machine stayed on and found no viruses - it's been on 2 1/2 hours today not turned off. Still thought try with the present battery in

If a full scan is attempted machine turns itself off.

Opened case; the two bronze cables - I think the processors, seem warm/mod hot when touched.

Make sure your vents are free from dust by using either a small brush or some compressed air.

See what the temp says in the bios as that's a true reading but I wouldn't open it up unless you really know what you are doing.

Honestly, the first thing I'd try is removing Norton. Norton circa 2004 was the best thing around but sadly those days are long gone and you'd be amazed how much crap it puts on the system. Use the removal tool above.

Norton was installed after the problem started to happen.

It's now doing full scan in normal mode; 170 thousand files in, been on 30 mins or so; and not crashed - with new battery in.

The time did not automatically change with the internet with the old battery.

I ran HWMonitor in windows along side scan - it got to 125 thousand files and temperature said 67 degrees and then it turned itself off

Try using a temperature monitor like HWiNFO whilst doing the scan, see if it is the actual cpu overheating. Did you clear it of any dust ect?

Yes cleared dust etc - now with an engineer to see if it can be fixed. Will let you know what outcome is. Thank you for trying to help.

Seems old CMOS battery power outage low so least that replaced; hope engineer can fix other matter.

before windows boots up what do the numbers mean on side near function key options to go to set up and boot menu options in MS Dos? where the manufacturers logo appears when first turn on.?

Last edited:
Seems old CMOS battery power outage low so least that replaced; hope engineer can fix other matter.

before windows boots up what do the numbers mean on side near function key options to go to set up and boot menu options in MS Dos? where the manufacturers logo appears when first turn on.?
To be honest I would only be guessing and need a bit more information on what each thing actually says. They could relate to version numbers or how to access the bios. MS DOS is using the pc but only with command lines like you see in command prompt.

the engineer fixed it

a) no thermal paste was found on heat sink
b) one of the RAM sticks was having the problem as well

Thanks to all who suggested

Back