Roger

I have an HP 8558 networked printer connected to an SBS2003 server. Windows 7 RC1 ic connected to the SBS domain. One of the updates offered through Windows Update is 'Microsoft driver update for HP Color LaserJet 8550 PCL'. The driver ID appears to be 3175.

I have now installed the update 4 times, and it keeps coming back. I've tried it with the printer on, off, with the PC connected to the network and disconnected.

I've now told it to ignore the update, so I don't see it again.

The printer does appear to be working fine. If I get round to re-installing Win 7 again, I'll check the printer before adding the update.

Just thought someone should know about the problem.

Roger

Roger, thank you for sharing your experience with the update for the HP Color LaserJet 8550 PCL driver on your Windows 7 RC1 system connected to an SBS2003 server. It seems like you've encountered a situation where the update keeps reappearing even after multiple installations.

Here are a few things you might consider to address this issue:

1. Registry Cleanup:
- Sometimes, Windows Update can get stuck due to registry issues. You can try cleaning up the Windows Update cache and ensuring the relevant registry entries are correct.

2. Driver Compatibility:
- Ensure that the driver you are trying to install is compatible with your HP 8558 networked printer. Sometimes, conflicts may arise if the driver is not fully compatible.

3. Blocking the Update:
- By telling Windows Update to ignore the specific update, you have taken a good step to prevent it from being reinstalled. If the printer is working fine without the update, this might be the best solution for now.

4. Reviewing Event Logs:
- Check the Windows Event Viewer for any errors or warnings related to the update installation. This might provide more insights into why the update keeps coming back.

5. Further Testing:
- As you mentioned, if you plan to reinstall Windows 7 in the future, testing the printer functionality before adding this specific update would be a good approach to isolate the issue.

If you encounter any more issues or need further assistance, feel free to reach out. Thank you for highlighting this problem for others who might face a similar issue.

Back