Windows 7 Update Home Premium to Pro

zhunter71

I am currently running 64-bit Home Premium and am looking to upgrade to Professional so i can install more RAM . Is this quite a risk-free procedure?

I just wanted to check that i am not putting my operating system at risk by doing it and it usually upgrades problem free. Its the blue disc i have seen to buy that say its a Professional version so will upgrade from Home Premium?

thanks!

Pssst.. Windows 10 Upgrades are still working for most installations and would get rid of that pesky RAM limit. (if you're using 64-bit). And it wouldn't cost you :)

Adding in here, that W10 Upgrades are not Free after July 29, 2016; so that will cost you unless you attempt the W10 Assistive Technologies upgrade, but that will only get you to W10 Home, not W10 Pro. If you go that way, the W10 AT free upgrade will not get you to W10 Pro and you'll have to buy a download or disc to get there.

And oh, by the way, you are absolutely correct, OS type upgrades are very certainly NOT risk free; as most of my Clients who attempt this scramble their computer and have to pay me to fix it. Additionally, any kind of OS upgrade whether in your same OS family (W7 Home->W7 Pro for example) or to W10 any version comes with risks. It's actually best to pay a licensed Tech to do this for you and there can be many stumbling issues for someone who has never done it before. Also, we strongly suggest that you FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS IN ORDER TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!!
It's also a really good idea to perform manual file/folder backups using a free program such as AEOMI Backupper and also a Image File Backup program such as Macrium Reflect, Acronis TrueImage, or EASus TODO. All 3 of these image backup programs have been tested thoroughly here on W7/W8x as well as the newer W10 if you decide to upgrade.

Just something to think about.
Let us know if you have any more questions.
Best,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Adding in here, that W10 Upgrades are not Free after July 29, 2016; so that will cost you unless you attempt the W10 Assistive Technologies upgrade, but that will only get you to W10 Home, not W10 Pro. If you go that way, the W10 AT free upgrade will not get you to W10 Pro and you'll have to buy a download or disc to get there.

As I stated upgrades are indeed still working except in some cases where users were running 7/8 Starter edition or some odd licensing model. And if he upgrades to Windows 10 it would be Windows 10 home, however if you look at the memory allowance for 10 editions it starts at 128GB and then moves up to 2TB. (64 bit editions of course)

Back