Windows 8 Update state is... what?

aHumanError

Hi all,

Anyone noticed when updating manually that there's a complete lack of information? For example it takes a while to compile a list of available updates for your machine, and while it's doing it you don't really get any feedback, of course if you know what to look for you can see the memory an CPU usage of relevant services running, couple that with the HDD usage an you can get that it's doing somthing. But for average users they'll be left wondering of anything's happening.

What's worse is that when you finally get this list of updates and allow it to download, again I get no clear sign of activity since it stays at 0% until it's completed, if it's downloading more than, say, 10 or 20 updates then takes quite a bit of time an you have no idea what's going on... then after an eternity it goes from 0% to installing updating 1 of ...

I dunno about you but I like to know what's going on, the more information the better, and a redundant percentage that doesn't seem to work isn't enough.

Hi,
do you mean lack of information about the actual updates and what each one does in particular or do you mean the actual download and update process?
As I'm sure your aware you can always Google/Bing the KB number and find out what the update relates to but as to the actual process of updating itself... Yes it can leave a lot to be desired and I've witnessed the 0% to completion (nothing inbetween) 'bug'.
To be honest as long as your updating successfully and nothing is amiss I wouldn't worry about it. You can of course change the settings so that you can check what the updates are before downloading and installing but as for the other thing.. I guess you just gotta learn to live with it.. :)

I'm referring to [not only] this 0% bug but in general I think better notification in general would be good.

I've always hoped that Microsoft would implement some feature where you can select how you want information to be presented to you throughout the OS, for example there could be just a Basic and Advanced option. Obviously the default value would be Basic but upon selecting Advanced you'd get better information, for example things like the download graph would automatically be shown, better (and more accurate) update information would be shown which includes more technical information, and advanced abilities such as driver signing etc..

Perhaps I've outgrew Windows but I generally like the OS, but it seems to me (at least) that it's becoming a bit like a nanny OS. Spending more time trying to stop you doing anything "risky" than improving functionality, which is kinda pushing away advanced users or users that have specific needs.

I might of derailed on this post a bit!

Well if you dislike how windows does things update wise with Windows 8/8.1 or even 7 then Windows 10 will probably drive you nuts.
In windows 10 your choices are extremely limited. If your using either the enterprise or Pro version then you can 'defer' updates to a later date but thats it. You can download a little app from Microsoft which will allow you to stop a particular update but again that's about it.
You cannot hide updates or choose to check them over before download and install as it's now all automatic...

Simply awful for the enthusiast/power user.

I don't think I'll upgrade to this Windows 10 to be honest. I may install it on VirtualBox or something since I've not had time to play around with it but I really value my privacy; 'confidential' or not. And it seems they're spending more time on control and aesthetics more than a good, stable, reliable, practical and dynamic OS.

Mostly I'll wait a while before I upgrade, I've already read a lot about Windows 10; some good, most bad, but it's still in early stages and it's always the same process for new OS's. They seem to complicate things based on good ideas, but it mostly ends up worse, or harder to do something else outside the scope of Microsoft... if you know what I mean. To me their OS's are becoming a bit like Apple's IOS lol.

Look at this:

14dg9ic.jpg

It often makes me wonder HOW this kinda thing happens.

Hmm.. Usually it's down to the update already being on the system but I may be wrong.

Could happen if you grab a lot of updates at once and one of them overrides an early one i.e. it fails because it's no longer needed.

p.s. with WX you can also disable the updates service from the task manager until you want to let it look for them but yes that's not very nub-customer safe.

I deleted the updates folder for it to fail again, I've read many theories about this update. A favorite is that it's 'picky' about specific folders in the Start Menu folder - surely this can't be that, but then again something as stupid as that wouldn't surprise me.

Whatever the case I've been busy with other stuff, I'll remedy it when I have the time (and patience).

Back