Windows 7 Upgrade Results in 4 gig more disc usage

Desertway

After the upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 RC my disc usage went from 172 to 177. Is this to be expected? Is it because I did an upgrade? Or is Win7 Premium that much larger? Is there a folder hiding somewhere with installation or rollback files that could at some point be deleted? Thanks.

That's exactly why 99% of the usual posters here advice against it.

Look in the C: drive for a directory named windows.old

You also might want to check the C:\Program Files directory and make sure there are not two of them.

An upgrade leaves behind hundreds of files that are of no use, that's even after deleting the folders above.

That's exactly why 99% of the usual posters here advice against it.

Look in the C: drive for a directory named windows.old

You also might want to check the C:\Program Files directory and make sure there are not two of them.

An upgrade leaves behind hundreds of files that are of no use, that's even after deleting the folders above.

Thanks for the reply. I know that it is advised against. But I was lazy. I just got a new Vista Laptop a week ago, and transferred all my data and reinstalled all my programs. I just wasn't up to doing it again :frown: so soon.

I looked briefly for the Windows.old folder and didn't see it. I'll search for it later when I get home. I'll check the program files directory, and if anyone has any other suggestions for left-overs to seek out, it would be greatly appreciated.

If not, I'll try to gather the strength for a clean install this weekend. It's running plenty fast as is, but I hate the excess loss of space.

Back