Windows 8 Upgrade to 8.1, BSOD with wireless adapter: Driver_Power_State_failure

Kevinpc1

Need some help with this recent BSOD that I have been having since I upgraded to 8.1 from 8.
I have a Lenovo G500 laptop.

This BSOD seems to be easily duplicated when I try to modify settings under the Advanced tab of my wireless card adapter, a Broadcom 802.11n wireless adapter. This is true when I try to insert a custom MAC address under the locally administered MAC address setting. What happens is the window (for the settings of the wireless adapter properties) freezes, then my wireless adapter is disabled and any ability to re-enable it fails (It states that it is being enabled, but then remains disabled). Once I restart my computer, it remains at the restarting screen for 3-5 minutes, then BSOD and remarks that "Driver_Power_State_Failure" is the cause of the BSOD. I've even gone and updated the driver of the wireless card from Lenovo's support page (as well as updated drivers to other components like my LAN card, BIOS, etc.) and I still receive the problem.

Please note that I have internet (Ethernet and Wireless) but once I do what I stated earlier, my wireless card just hemorrhages until I restart/power down my laptop. I have an assumption that it has to do with the driver of my wireless card but even updating it to the 8.1 driver supplied by Lenovo still causes the BSOD to occur. I'm at my wit's end for now.

*Crash Dump from Whocrashed.exe:

On Mon 11/4/2013 1:08:46 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\110413-15937-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x150B36)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFE00000EB8040, 0xFFFFD00020472860)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 11/4/2013 1:08:46 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFE00000EB8040, 0xFFFFD00020472860)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 11/3/2013 12:46:16 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\110313-14218-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFE00006A98880, 0xFFFFD00020472860)

On Sun 11/3/2013 6:50:53 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\110313-13484-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFE00004073880, 0xFFFFD000205F6860)

On Sat 11/2/2013 1:33:09 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\110213-14203-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFE00001219040, 0xFFFFD000201FD860)

*Bluescreen viewer (most recent crash):

Bug check string: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Bug check code: 0x0000009f
Parameter 1: 00000000`00000004
Parameter 2: 00000000`0000012c
Parameter 3: ffffe000`00eb8040
Parameter 4: ffffd000`20472860
Processor: x64
Caused by driver: NETIO.SYS
Caused by address: NETIO.SYS+1ddb2
Crash address: ntoskrnl.exe+150b36

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• W7F_05-11-2013.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,230
Last edited:
Just to mention a few more details that I've done with the limited free time I have (due to work):

I have booted into safe mode and uninstalled my wireless adapter then reinstalled it on normal boot (and updating the driver) and it still causes BSOD.
Falling back to an earlier version of the driver still causes BSOD.
I am internet sharing (using netsh wlan set hostednetwork on command prompt) which didn't cause any problems prior to updating to 8.1. Doing so doesn't cause any problems.
Googling the error states that it usually occurs due to putting the laptop to sleep or waking it up from sleep but I can put my laptop to sleep and wake it up anytime I want and the laptop has no problems on doing so (still retains Wireless internet, etc.).
It always will BSOD when I tinker around with the advanced settings on my wireless adapter, especially if I enter a custom MAC (it will freeze, I shut down then my laptop upon reboot will use the custom MAC I entered- then if I remove the custom MAC it will freeze and BSOD again).
I am currently running verifier.exe as described on http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/101379-driver-verifier-enable-disable.html and for the few hours it has been on nothing adverse has happened.

Back