Windows 8 Upgrade to windows 8.1 stopped my games from working

Alex Kellam

Hey guys...I was recently forced to upgrade to windows 8.1 on my lenovo y410p laptop. After the upgrade I cannot get any of my games to run. I have googled the problem and I can't seem to find a fix...I have tried running different compatibility setting, running as admin, upgrading my graphics and even updating my directX...I think this is a problem with directX because only my games are having problems. The issue is directX wont let me install a older or newer version or uninstall it...can anyone help please??? this is really frustrating

Hi Alex,
1. un-install the game... keep your saves.
2. re-install the game... not into the c:/ programs folder.

Window 8 is not the same as windows 8.1... for starters the documents folder (where most games put their saves) is set up different.

3. go to the support page for lenovo and download (& install) at least their 8.1 chipset and graptic drivers then get all the upgrades from microsoft... most important is the 8.1.1 patch.

Also this
Hi Alex,
1. un-install the game... keep your saves.
2. re-install the game... not into the c:/ programs folder.

Window 8 is not the same as windows 8.1... for starters the documents folder (where most games put their saves) is set up different.

3. go to the support page for lenovo and download (& install) at least their 8.1 chipset and graptic drivers then get all the upgrades from microsoft... most important is the 8.1.1 patch.
Also a particular game is in C:/games...not program files...the steam games on the other hand are in the program files

Almost any other place is fine… windows locks down the c:/ programs folder as a helpful way to stop hackers which makes the c:/ programs folder the worse place too install anything on a windows system… that’s the crack-head thinking which rules the world!

Best practice is a non-system drive like the D:/ Games or G:/games (I have a G drive just for games)… if you only have the C drive then C:/ Games will work but you will slow your system down and risk the system becoming unstable after a format.

p.s. steam and gog games install to a default folder that you can set in your settings so example G:/ gog games and G:/ steam games respectively.

Awesome...I have a lenovo D drive and I will try and install it there...Is this what you think will fix it?

Most laptops have C drive for the OS and a D drive for the recovery partition. That D drive is/should not be messed with as you will corrupt your recovery partition and not be able to factory restore the laptop.

I would partition the C drive if possible, depending on how big the C drive is.

Ok I have created a new partition called G for games...it is 150 GB with 500 left over...I will try installing the game on this drive

Back
Top Bottom