Windows 7 Upgrading from Microsoft Website

azok79

I bought Win 7 Ultimate from a third party dealer on Buy.com that turned out have a bogus product key. Since Ultimate is installed on my computer now, can I buy the Anytime Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate? It's only $139, and it would seem to be perfectly honest. I had Home Premium before I installed Ultimate.

When you install Windows Vista or Windows 7, you must install the version that matches your license key. I don't think you can downgrade successfully, and there is important information from Microsoft specifically about "downgrade rights". I would suggest backing up your data and doing a clean install at this point in time. This will put you into a safe position to do a valid AnyTime upgrade.

One more question: When you say "clean install" do you mean from the Windows 7 disc at start-up, or "dban-wipe-the-drive-completely" clean install?

One more question: When you say "clean install" do you mean from the Windows 7 disc at start-up, or "dban-wipe-the-drive-completely" clean install?

You can do the clean install from the Windows 7 install disk, just delete the partitions when you're in the "Advanced" window and the install as usual. You'll be good to go from there.

Back
Top Bottom