Upgrading from Microsoft Website

I bought Win 7 Ultimate from a third party dealer on Buy.com that turned out have a bogus product key. Since Ultimate is installed on my computer now, can I buy the Anytime Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate? It's only $139, and it would seem to be perfectly honest. I had Home Premium before I installed Ultimate.

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
As long as your original copy of Windows 7 Home Premium is legal, than you can use the Anytime Upgrade. You should use your copy of Home Premium to use the Anytime Upgrade. Please see this page: Upgrade to another edition of Windows 7 by using Windows Anytime Upgrade

Thanks, Mike. The thing is....can I install Home Premium over Ultimate?

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
When you install Windows Vista or Windows 7, you must install the version that matches your license key. I don't think you can downgrade successfully, and there is important information from Microsoft specifically about "downgrade rights". I would suggest backing up your data and doing a clean install at this point in time. This will put you into a safe position to do a valid AnyTime upgrade.

Will do that. Thanks for your prompt replies!

One more question: When you say "clean install" do you mean from the Windows 7 disc at start-up, or "dban-wipe-the-drive-completely" clean install?

One more question: When you say "clean install" do you mean from the Windows 7 disc at start-up, or "dban-wipe-the-drive-completely" clean install?
You can do the clean install from the Windows 7 install disk, just delete the partitions when you're in the "Advanced" window and the install as usual. You'll be good to go from there.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.