Windows 10 Upgrading the Window 10 with 18GB SSD

optwin

Hi all,

II would really like to upgrade to windows 10 (from windows 8.1) whilst this upgrade offer is still available, however at the moment I only have about 300Mb from space on my laptop hard drive (32GB, or 18.8GB according to windows 8.1).

I know there is an option of using a USB to upgrade, however it isn't clear if I would need to use this USB every time I run the laptop with Windows 10 on it, or if it is just a temporary storage area whilst the laptop is being upgrading to windows 10 from 8.1?

Can anyone please help? Thanks.

Hello,

The information you are providing is bad news for a system upgrade. You need at least 8GB of free space to upgrade to Windows 10. You should uninstall as many applications as you can, and/or back up your files, until you can perform the upgrade.

If you are already on Windows 8, you should be able to upgrade, but still make sure your system meets the minimum requirements:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB.
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
A Microsoft account and Internet access.

My 2-in-1 Tablet was upgraded with only 5GB of free space but I paid a professional to do it because I feared the problems which might be encountered. In fact he said he had little difficulty. But I would think 5GB really is the bare minimum. I think the USB drive is for temporary storage required during the process, the demands of W10 seem quite modest once it is installed.

I upgraded my Asus laptop that only has 32 Gigs of storage from 8.1 to Windows 10, yes you need a USB memory stick or a SD card if you have the Sd card reader. It's only temporary storage you don't need it after the installation is done. And one plus is that after 30 days the system deletes the old copy of Windows and the restore copy that is on the hard drive giving you a lot more storage space.
I used a 16GB memory stick worked great.... Make sure the PC is plug in it takes a long time to upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1

Back