Windows 7 USB 2.0 Ports on Motherboard Sometimes Stop Working

Kylethedarkn

So here's my problem. Sometimes when I'm using the computer the peripherals I have plugged into any USB 2.0 slots freeze up and the ports seem to not work with anything. The USB 3.0 slots work fine even when the USB 2.0 don't, and the mouse and keyboard work fine in the 3.0 slots, so it's not those. Also I should mention that the front case USB 2.0 slots that are connected to the motherboard on the boards usb inputs work fine when the other 2.0 slots aren't working. Also under device manager there aren't any problems being shown with anything.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here?

Sounds like it could be a power management issue.
Check your Device Manager for your USB devices "Power Mangement" tab
as well as your power options in control panel with respect to your USB settings.
USB_PwrMgt.png
USB_PwrMgt2.png

Took a look at those settings and they are all good. Nothing is set to be turned off to save power and selective suspend setting under power options is disable already. I pretty much have it set to maximum performance over power reduction for when I game, so I don't think it's that. Thanks for the reply though. ^_^

Take a look at your system BIOS and see if there are any power management options in there that might be causing the issue.
Additionally if you installed or it came with any third party software from either the board manufacturer or the computer manufacturer, there may be some power management options in there that are over-riding the Windows native stuff.

Nothing in the BIOS that is doing it. Everything seems to work okay in the BIOS, but I haven't let it sit there for a while or anything. As far as third party software, I never bothered with it. Just usually install the drivers and that's it. I have video card utilities installed, but they have been there for years, and nothing has changed with them recently.

Back