USB Device not compatible with USB 3.0 whilst in an USB 2.0 port

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by StijnKuijper, Dec 17, 2014.

1. StijnKuijper

StijnKuijper New Member

Since a couple of days ago, my PS3 controller, which used to work just fine, decided to stop working with my PC. My computer does detect the device; I hear a sound when I plug it in and if I go to devices and printers in the control panel it's there. But if I go to device manager, I can't seem to find it, even when I click the "Show hidden devices" button. If I use the "Solve problems" in the control menu, it says the device is not compatible with USB 3.0, even though the device is in an USB 2.0 port.

2. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

Sounds like a driver conflict… have you changed software or updated something?

3. StijnKuijper

StijnKuijper New Member

Well, I used to use MotionInjoy's DS3 Tool, but that stopped working. After that I deïnstalled the drivers, and installed tried to use it without the DS3 Tool. But after I had deleted the drivers and the DS3 Tool, I wasn't able to find the controllers in the device mangers.

4. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

This set is not for non-latency legacy systems i.e. windows xp, vista and 7 is the only support... you could try to email the guy but it looks to me as if he just stopped.

Option 1, get a new windows 8 ps3 device.
    Option 2, install windows 7 on vmplayer (or workstation) and play your games on that... your old ps3c will be happy again.
    + vmplayer = free (the full version is workstation) and you can use your 8.1 system when not playing the games.
    - hyper-v comes free with 8.1 and vmware doesn't play nice with it so you can't have hyper-v & vmware on the same boot.

#4 ussnorway, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  5. StijnKuijper

StijnKuijper New Member

So, that basically means I can't use my current PS3 controller on this PC ever again?