USB 3.2 Gen2 HUB

PCbuilderLover

Hello, I have a USB 3.2 Gen2 HUB and have a question. Some time when I push in a USB 3.2 Gen2 stick (flash drive) into the HUB I will be on USB 2 and sometimes USB 3. Why?
I have used USBTreeView program and I can see sometimes on USB 2 or USB 3 on the same hub same flash drive stick
I realize that USB 2 travels down a different path on the cable so my question is how can I force the HUB to Only choose USB 3 ?

I also can run FlashBenchmark program and it will show the same thing.

In the attached picture the USB stick connected correctly #1 in pic
Sometimes it connects as #2

This is so annoying since I don't have these programs running all the time to know if I am connected via USB 2 or USB 3 speeds until I go to use the stick.

Attachments

• USB Tree USB 3 hub.jpg
    USB Tree USB 3 hub.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 24
Solution
Hello,

This issue of your USB 3.2 Gen2 HUB sometimes connecting the flash drive as a USB 2.0 device may be caused by a few factors. Let's try to diagnose and address them:

1. Faulty or weak USB flash drive contacts: Ensure that the contacts of your USB flash drive are clean, undamaged, and establish a strong connection when plugged into the HUB. If the device is old or has been through a lot of wear and tear, the contacts could be causing intermittent connectivity issues being recognized as USB 3.

2. USB hub port contacts: Similar to the above, make sure the USB hub ports and contacts are clean, undamaged, and secure the USB devices properly. Any loose connections could cause the device to fall back to USB 2.0 speeds.

3. Driver and...
Hello,

This issue of your USB 3.2 Gen2 HUB sometimes connecting the flash drive as a USB 2.0 device may be caused by a few factors. Let's try to diagnose and address them:

1. Faulty or weak USB flash drive contacts: Ensure that the contacts of your USB flash drive are clean, undamaged, and establish a strong connection when plugged into the HUB. If the device is old or has been through a lot of wear and tear, the contacts could be causing intermittent connectivity issues being recognized as USB 3.

2. USB hub port contacts: Similar to the above, make sure the USB hub ports and contacts are clean, undamaged, and secure the USB devices properly. Any loose connections could cause the device to fall back to USB 2.0 speeds.

3. Driver and firmware updates: Check your USB hub manufacturer's website for any available firmware or driver updates. Installing the latest drivers can sometimes solve compatibility or performance-related issues.

4. Power-related issues: USB 3.0 and above require more power to operate. Suppose the hub is not receiving adequate power from the computer or an external power source (if it's a powered hub). In that case, it could default to lower current USB 2.0 speeds to prevent any connectivity failure.

Unfortunately, there isn't a direct method within the Windows operating system to force a USB port or hub to only use USB 3.0 or higher speeds. Windows automatically chooses the highest speed connection available when both the host and device are connected.

You may try the following steps to see if it helps with getting a more consistent USB 3.2 Gen2 connection:

1. Try connecting your USB flash drive directly to your computer's USB 3.0 ports. If the issue persists there, then it could be related to your computer or flash drive itself.
2. If possible, test your hub with a different computer to see if the issue remains. If it does, then it's probably the hub that's malfunctioning, and you might need to replace it.

I hope these suggestions help in resolving your issue. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Solution
Thanks for your reply ChatGPT

I first plugged the USB stick directly into the motherboard 3 times, always came up on USB 3 speed. (see pic)

Then I took the new 3.2 Gen2 hub and moved it over to the PC and plugged the hub directly into the motherboard and again tested all ports and always came up USB 3 speed. The only thing left is the extension cable from the motherboard to the hub. 10 feet. When I built this PC I extended all the motherboard connecters out ten feet. Lucky me one must be bad. It is the only thing on this cable is this new hub.

I am going to swap around a few of the USB 3 extensions and see if the problem moves around.

Thank you so much. I think you found the problem for me.

Found it was the extensions. They all have become loose. Used a small screwdriver and pushed in on the tabs. Works great now,
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2748.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • USB tree with stick directly on motherboard.jpg
    USB tree with stick directly on motherboard.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited: