Windows 7 Usb and ps2 keyboards not responding on HP Pavilion Win 7 prem

geno368

Extraordinary Member
I am working on an a6400f desktop and I get no response from any keyboard after boot. I can get into safe, but then no keyboard on login. I went to microsoft mouse and keyboard and is says no device connected. I have run security scans and the system is clean. The wireless usb mouse works. It is not my system, but my aunt's and she doesn't know what happened. I have also tried system restore with same results. I have uninstalled the keyboards in device mgr and rebooted...same result.
Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance

A quick try....reset BIOS to default settings and reboot and see what happens.

Thanks for the help. It came with Vista 32bit. The bios is ver 5.19 dated 1-31-08
She bought Windows 7 home prem and her daughter installed it in January
According to her, it was working earlier this month

Seeing how the BIOS is outdated by 2 updates...I would most definitely update to the latest version. The next thing I would do is update the rest of the drivers on that PC from the link I provided in the previous post.

Other than that...if it's not supported for the next OS there's not much one can do. That's the risk one takes when going to an OS that's not supported...anything can happen at any time.

The only other possibility is the mobo itself....where the components that are attached to it has crapped out....eg the USB ports and the PS2 connection. The only way to check that out is to send it to a HP service center or find a replacement mobo for it.

Chances are if (big if) you can use the problem keyboard and ports to enter and navigate the System Setup Utility (BIOS), and the problem only happens when you actually boot into Windows then it's likely that someone or something has either deleted or somehow corrupted the drivers for the keyboard.
If the mouse still works you might be able to use osk.exe (On Screen Keyboard) and try a few things like the System File Checker and or a System Restore or even perform an inplace upgrade repair if the OS boots and you have the install media and product key.

OSK.exe in is the C:\Windows\System32 folder
and the System File Check can be run from an admin command prompt by typing
sfc /scannnow

I am able to use the OSK in the ease of access center...Why would the keyboard work during post and then quit at login?
Bass, I don't think there are windows 7 drivers in that site.
I will try the sfc...System restore didn't help
I need to find out how to flash the bios although the description of the bios update didn't seem to pertain to this system

SFC didn't find anything...I talked to her last night and she told me that the keyboard had been working fine for 2 years after she had windows 7 installed. I am figuring that some infection has corrupted some of the drivers.
How do I perform an inplace upgrade repair. I do have her retail dvd and license

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Regards
Randy

Back