Windows 7 USB External Hard Drive will not eject

Terry Day

I am expereincing a problem I am not sure it's a Windows issue or I Tunes. I store my Tunes Library on a seperate External Hard Drive as the file size is quite big 1786 Song Tracks. When I have finished using I Tunes to play any music and shut I Tunes down my Exteranl hard Drive will not close down and I am receiving a message 'USB generic device - another programme is accessing this and cannot close down' or words to that effect. I am unable to identify the programme in question and I have looked in Services to see what is running and cannot determine the fault. Aplogise if this is not a Windows 7 related issue, any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm pretty sure the issue is you have itunes installed on C drive and your iTunes library on the external HDD. You need to put them on the same drive....ideally on the C drive.

D Therefore, make them a common file / or your own D file, which you can move more easily.
In the end where do you want to save / use
I love it because C Drive is a machine-related partition not for storage.

Last edited:
If there is any functional tease on your device please let us know?
AND you want to miss yes understanding hidden / choice

Last edited:
This is what I would do.....I would use Revo Uninstaller and uninstall iTunes. Once that is done, the do the advanced scan to find all the left overs, then delete those. Then reboot.

Then download a new copy of iTunes and install it on the C or D drive.......keeping it's entire contents on either drive.

I keep my music files on my external hard drive. Most of the time, the computer sees the external hard drive as another drive to the computer and l am unable to eject the hard drive. What l do is shut down the computer completely and l unplug the external drive. The shut down will close all programs running.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

I have moved everything to another Hard Drive in my tower and re -installed I Tunes. All well now thanks for all your comments and advice.

Back