Windows 7 USB Ports stopped working suddenly

corbu90

Today, after a regular update of the OS (which is a Windows 7 HP 64-bit) my mouse stopped working. Unplugged it, pug it back and got an error message saying that the driver was not installed correctly because it could not be identified (I have been using Windows 7 for a month and nothinh happened... the mouse was normally recognized everytime I plugged it). I thought it would be a bug of the system and a simple restart would make the rest. The problem was still there and my surprise was that none of the ports actually worked properly and none of any USB device plugged in (IPod, flash drive...) was recognized. The ports still worked because the flash drive light was on, the IPod was charging battery and the mouse was light on but none of them was recognizable (no access to the IPod nor the flash, no movement from the mouse).

I have tried two things with no results: uninstall all the USB controllers and restart and restore the system to a point set a couple of days ago. Nothing works.

I let you the specifications of my computer so maybe some of you can give me a hand. I am very stressed since I really need my laptop to work and USB ports are vital for the use of my computer, data...

Thanks in advance,

M

SONY Vaio FW-351J
Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2,00 GHz 2.00 GHz
4,00 GB RAM
OS- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
Intel (R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller

Try uninstalling your usb controllers/devices in SAFE MODE and reinstalling in SAFE MODE before rebooting. If this works, you may find that any new usb devices that you add outside of safe mode will cause the problem to recur.

Back