Windows 7 USB Transfer Kills System

Morpheus101

I have a 30GB file that I'm transfering TO a USB drive. At about 24GB Windows 7 crashes and locks causing me to restart. This has happend on all Windows 7 installs, including 7068.

Is anyone else having this problem?

The file transfers fine in Vista.

I have only Upgraded and this might be the cause but it's very unlikely. I have a 500GB 2.5 USB, and a 300GB 3.5 USB and it happens on both.

TIA...

when you say it kills the system what do you mean , ie is this black screen shutdown reeboot or blue screen error message hang or ??

N.B. the only time this has ever happened to me on any OS was due to inadequate power supply.

The system Locks at a white screen. I have tried it on an external 3.5 USB drive and a 2.5 USB drive. They both fail right at the same place on the transfer each time. I can reimage my Vista back on, and the same file transfers just fine on both drives. I know it's not normal to transfer a single 30GB file.

My last rersort is to do a clean install of Windows 7

Edit: my problem solved, my Card reader stopped my system.

Last edited:
Ok, so your external USB drive when moving a 25GB plus file was locking up on a white screen. Now you disconnect your card reader (which I have one) and you can now transfer a single 25GB plus file with no lockups?

Ok, so your external USB drive when moving a 25GB plus file was locking up on a white screen. Now you disconnect your card reader (which I have one) and you can now transfer a single 25GB plus file with no lockups?

I had a little different problem, but solved after I disabled, everything works fine.

I didn't have to transfer a 25gb file. Even a 700MB avi was enough to hang the system. At 40-50% the file transferrring stopped, and my CPU usage went up to 100%.

In the Task manager none of the processes used all my cpu. From the Perfomance tab I started Resource Monitor. I realized, that System Interrupts using all my CPU(80-100%).

If u also have a built-in card reader, try to disable it. If u go to Device Manager, inside Disk Drives you should see your card reader device. I have 4, cuz I have a multi reader, so I see 4 rows:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

After I disabled all(right click-disable) Generic USB XX Reader USB Devices, my file transfer worked fine. Now everything cool, and I didnt have to physically disconnect the card reader, so anytime if I want to use it, I just have to Enable for that time.

I have a sort of external reader. It's where my floppy should be and connected directly to the MB. I'll try your suggestion on the next reload of Windows 7. I'll just unplug it before updating. I did try a fresh install and it did the same exact thing. So updating or fresh install proves no differance. This seems to be the only glitch that I've found, that effects anything I'm doing.

Thanks...

I have a sort of external reader. It's where my floppy should be and connected directly to the MB. I'll try your suggestion on the next reload of Windows 7. I'll just unplug it before updating. I did try a fresh install and it did the same exact thing. So updating or fresh install proves no differance. This seems to be the only glitch that I've found, that effects anything I'm doing.

Thanks...

Yeah I have the same version of reader, fit into floppy drive's slot, and connected to MB's USB pin.:)
So that could cuz the error to you. I hope the disconnecting will solve your problem. If your USB drive will work fine without the reader plugged in, u'll be able to use your card reader, just disable in Device Manager when u dont use it:)

Back
Top Bottom