Windows 7 USB Transfer Rate

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I just tested a new Corsair Flash Voyager 3.0 flash drive I got, and was curious why it is considerably faster transferring a file to the drive than it is to transfer the same file off the flash drive back to the desktop? Shouldn't it be about the same either way?

I guess that you are using those terms in the opposite of how I think of them, because to me write speed is the time it takes to write data from the OS to the flash drive, which in my case is faster. Read is the time that it takes to transfer data from the flash drive to the OS, which is slower.

Seeker, I know this thread is old. I just wanna show you a speed comparison test between USB 3.0 ans USB 2.0.

First, the USB 2.0:

Screenshot (8).png

And here is USB 3.0:

Screenshot (9).png

Big difference!

Happy new year!

I think it curious that you got somewhat better transfer rates than I did:

USB 2

SanDisk 2.png

USB 3

corsair usb 3.png

I also wonder why my Corsair 3.0 has a much broader spectrum of rates than any of the rest of the drives?

Last edited:
Does your mobo natively support USB 3.0 or are you using a controller card? The results I've shown above are from my WIndows 8.1 tablet that came with a native USB 3.0 port.

The motherboard does have USB 3, but I have the drive plugged into an addon card instead, because access to the motherboard' s connector is difficult because of other cables in the way.

I was in a rush on the post with the screenshots, and must have had my eyes cross, because my comment regarding burst rate comparisons was all wrong, so I deleted that in my post, except the part about the transfer rate spectrum.

Curiouser and curiouser...I ran the error scan on the corsair, then took a look at the speedmap:

speedmap.png

This pattern must mean something?

I thought that the pattern may be due to something with the controller card it was connected to, so I moved the drive to the onboard 2.0 connector and ran the scan again, and there was no pattern as before. I then moved it again to the onboard 3.0 connector, and got continous bad blocks indicated. It would appear that I have some problems in both controllers, but then again, when I scanned a regular HDD in my USB 3 docking station connected to the addon controller, I didn't get a pattern like that. I guess it just doesn't like flash drives too well.

Back