Windows 7 User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

A friend called and said he is getting this message when he tried to log into his Dell laptop.
He can boot into safe mode.

What can he do in safe mode to fix this?

He lives quite a distance from me, so I'm hoping for something simple enough to explain over the phone.

Thanks

Mike

If he can't get into safe mode...a safe mode fix wont work.....lol.

I'd do a google search on that error message and see what pops up.

Hi

He can boot into safe mode!
I'm wondering if he can just change the user ID that it boots to and get around the User Profile Can't be Loaded, issue.

Mike

Ahh..I misread that can for can't. You can try it...you may also consider using Teamviewer to remote access you friends PC if need be to trouble shoot. Instead of phone calls, skype call or emails.

Hi

Thanks I'll give it a try.
I've never used the remote computer thing, I'll read up on it before tomorrow.

I'm not sure what he needs to do on his end, he's pretty computer nonliterate.
It's hard to talk to him on the phone because he doesn't describe what he is seeing very will.

Mike

Oh...I know exactly what you mean...that's why I suggested teamviewer. A lot of us on here use it. Sometimes it just easier to remote troubleshoot then to go through all the BS...as you found out.

Hi

Tried to resolve it on the Phone, can't use Teamviewer or create a new profile.
It won't give us access to the User Accounts page from Safe Mode.

He can't get Teamviewer installed on his end.

I did find a possible fix editing the Registry, but after two hours on the phone I gave up on that.

He's going to drive here on Saturday morning with his computer, and I'll try and do the registry fix.
It involve substituting the back up profile for the one he is using, and making a few edits.

I hope it works.

If it doesn't I'll have to back up everything on his computer and do a reset to factory state.

Mike

Hi Guys

My friend brought his Sony laptop to my house this morning.

After trying to get it to boot and seeing that he was correct that it showed the
Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded message.
I started to log into safe mode.
When I got to the boot selection screen I decided to click on "Load last good
configuration" something that I had, had him do over the phone.
It actually worked, it accepted his password and logged into his account.

When I got in it
acted like everything was opening for the first time.
Setup windows came up, and none of the recently opened files showed in Word or Chrome, his Chrome links bar links were all gone etc.

His desktop still looked the same with all the icons there.

I removed the password fixed everything on it, (Malwarebytes found 79 items) CCleaner remove a ton of stuff and had a whole page of
Registry errors.

When I rebooted he said, and I'm not kidding, "How did you do that?" I said, "What?" he said, "Turn if off".
I said "I clicked on the Start button and selected shutdown, how do you do it?"

He said "I always push the
button on the side".

I said "Don't do that anymore". LOL

No wonder his User Account go scrambled, I'm surprised it took this long.

Anyway it's all fixed I put his password back in and it's running better then it has for years.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom