Windows 7 Very long boot time ( > 2 min)

helloworld

Hello Win7 Forums:

I have been experiencing extremely long start times for the last 6 months and have run out of ideas solving it. Here are the steps I have taken so far in an attempt to fix the issue:

- weekly full virus scans using SAS, Norton 360, Malware Bytes
- CCleaner and TweakNow Powerback for register cleaning and performance optimization
- Defraggler to defrag my hard drive.

On average it takes roughly 1 minute to boot to my login. After typing in my password the screen will turn black with only the mouse cursor visible. It will continue to load in this manner for another minute. After a 2 minute and 15 second start time I am finally at my home screen.

After running event viewer errors and warnings are produced. Some of them are:

- Dhcp-client PID 1001
- Kernel-EventTracing PID 2
- DistributedCOM PID 10016

However I do not believe these are the root of my problems. I am checked the web and some users suggest ignoring these issues. Any help or suggestions with my issue would be greatly appreciated. I am running:

win7 64 bit OS
Acer Aspire 4810T
U4100 1.30 GHz CPU
4 GB RAM

Highwayman is right - your processor is not a fast one and Norton is infamous for consuming resources. I run only MSSE and the built in MS firewall for my security and have no problems so you might like to consider offlaoding Norton. Might also be worth looking at what else you have running at startup. Autoruns is an excellent free utility for anylysing startups in depth and giving you the option temporarily to try stopping their execution by just unchecking the box in autoruns, you can recheck the box if you want to restart, alternatively delete it completely if you don't require it to run. Autoruns is a MS free ownload from here:

Autoruns for Windows

Highwayman is right - your processor is not a fast one and Norton is infamous for consuming resources. I run only MSSE and the built in MS firewall for my security and have no problems so you might like to consider offlaoding Norton. Might also be worth looking at what else you have running at startup. Autoruns is an excellent free utility for anylysing startups in depth and giving you the option temporarily to try stopping their execution by just unchecking the box in autoruns, you can recheck the box if you want to restart, alternatively delete it completely if you don't require it to run. Autoruns is a MS free ownload from here:

Autoruns for Windows

Alright, I'll look into unloading N360 and using MS Firewall. Thanks for the suggestion patcooke.

Back