Very slow internal hard drive transfer speeds

Quyeno

Hi

I'm getting very slow hard drive transfer speeds. Both drives are SATA:

Seagate Barracude Green 2TB 6Gb/s 5900RPM ST2000DL003

HGST 4TB 6Gb/s 7200RPM HDN724040ALE640

There is plenty of space on each drive.

I'm transferring from the Seagate to the HGST. I'm copying over some video tutorial courses, they're quite big ~ 14Gb each. Each course has a number of videos averaging about 80-150Mb per video. I'm getting tranfer speeds of about 8-9MB/s.

I've ran CrystalDiskMark on both drives and they're reported as what I expect. I've attached screen shots of the results.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 and I have 32Gb of GSkill DDR4 ram.

As far as I know I think the chipset drivers are up to date.

I'm at a lost why the transfer rate would be so slow. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

• HGST.JPG
    HGST.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 594
  • Seagate.JPG
    Seagate.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 550
Hi

Installed the latest Intel Rapid Storage drivers but no luck, still the same transfer rate. I've also tried different SATA sockets but no luck. Not sure if this is due to Win 10 or hard ware. I had the same drives in my old pc which was an Asus p7p55d and Win7 and transfer rates were fine.

I did some reading and apparently running USB legacy mode in the bios can have an effect and it might be worth disabling just to check.

Thanks, will give that a try. I've also noticed that if i copy over the whole tutorial series at once eg 150 files ~ 14Gb I get 10MB/s but if I copy over in chapters of 2-3Gb size folders, I get 30-60MB/s. Makes me wonder if windows 10 has a caching problem or is doing it differently from previous windows.

It's a hardware limitation on spinning disks. If your data is all sequential you will get better speeds, but if your data is spread out on the disk you will get a pretty big hit on the performance. If you moved to all SSD storage, you would see very consistent transfer performance.

Back