Windows Vista Vista(64bit) and software difficulties

LSHAW1

Now that I've purchased a brand new PC, a lot of the software that I'm familiar with and use almost daily, is not compatible with Vista64. Examples of software I use, but can NO LONGER use (causes major errors and forces me to recover the PC's factory settings and software) are: Pinnacle Studio QuickStart, Instant DVD Recorder, Nero 7 Ultra Enhanced CD/DVD copying software, Roxio Easy CD Creator 10, and a few others.

One hardware device I use often is my Dazzle170. I transfer VCR tapes to DVD. This device requires Pinnacle Quick Start or Instant DVD Recorder (also from Pinnacle). I've posted messages and sent e-mails requesting advice, drivers, etc., for Vista(64 bit), but none are available.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is hardware and software I use all the time! (well, not since receiving my new PC and discovering - the HARD way - that none of it works with Vista(64). I'd appreciate any advice, suggestions, links, recommendations, etc.

Thank you!

Have you tried right-clicking on the utilities 'exe', choose properties and then compatibility? I'm sure there's a check box for running in 32bit mode although I could be mistaken...

I've checked the properties and there is no option (it's grayed-out) to check for Windows XP compatibility.

It is correct with apparently no resolve for it, as I went to 64bit Vista also with the same results. Hardware for me was no problem. Software however, I lost at least a half a dozen or so programs that would not function, even if I went to compatibility mode. They just do not even load in 64 bit vista coming up with a blurb that they can not run in the operating system environment. As I stated there appears to be no resolve for this, unless you wait for a 64 bit version. Which is something that you might have a long time to wait for. For instance, I asked Roboform if there was a chance that a 64 bit version was forthcoming. The answer from them was while it will operate in 32bit mode, a 64bit version is not planned anytime soon. Which is why I am saying that there does not seem to be any resolve for this problems anytime soon. Another one for me is Ashampoo software utilities, which support from Ashampoo says it's coming but, it will not be for wweeks or months before 64 bit versions appear. I hope thiis will offer you some insight into what we both face but, it surely does not offer any immediate solution to the problem.

Well, I'm out more software than anything else. Now I can't use the cool features of Movie Maker (blank countdowns, now effects, etc.), cannot use my Pinnacle Studio 10 Quick Start, or Instant DVD Recorder, can't install my Nero 7 Ultra Enhanced.
Here I thought I was getting the 'top of the line' pc with Vista Home Edition (64bit), and great graphics, but cannot do anything I usually do!

Sux bigtime.

This is from Pinnacle's Web Site

Studio 10 installation with Windows Vista

Studio 10 installation with Windows Vista

1) You have a version of Studio Plus 10.6 FULL on DVD and you want to install the software under Microsoft Vista
  • You do not need to download any file, the Studio 10.6 Install DVD already includes the Vista Installation.
  • Please go to the "Studio Vista Installer" folder on the Install DVD and run "Setup.exe"
  • Don't forget to install the Studio 10.8 patch available from here to complete the Vista compatibility.
2) You have any full versions of Studio 10 Plus on disk, prior to 10.6 (10.0, 10.1, 10.5) or you have any Upgrade version of Studio 10 (10.0, 10.1, 10.5 and 10.6) and you want to install the software under Microsoft Vista
  • Please download the Studio Plus Vista installer (1.4GB)
  • Double-click on the downloaded file to extract the files. By default, installation files will be copied to "C:\Studio_Vista_Installer"
  • Go to "C:\Studio_Vista_Installer" and double-click on Setup.exe to start the installation
  • Don't forget to install the Studio 10.8 patch available from here to complete the Vista compatibility.
3) You have a version of Studio 10.6 (Standard) on DVD and you want to install the software under Microsoft Vista
  • You do not need to download this file, the Studio 10.6 Install DVD already includes the Vista Installation.
  • Please go to the "Studio Vista Installer" folder on the Install DVD and run "Setup.exe"
4) You have any version of Studio 10 (Standard) (10.0, 10.1, and 10.5) and you want to install the software under Microsoft Vista
  • Please download the Studio Vista installer (1.4GB)
  • Double-click on the downloaded file to extract the files. By default, installation files will be copied to "C:\Studio_Vista_Installer"
  • Go to "C:\Studio_Vista_Installer" and double-click on Setup.exe to start the installation
5) You have a version of Studio QuickStart 10.5 on CD and you want to install the software under Microsoft Vista
  • You do not need to download any file, the Studio QuickStart 10.5 Install CD can be installed under Vista.
  • Some error messages can be displayed during the installation process, please just skip them.
6) You have any version of Studio 10 SE and you want to install the software under Microsoft Vista
  • Studio 10 SE is not compatible with Vista. Please purchase a full or upgrade version of Studio Plus version 11 from our online store
Note: Pinnacle MediaManager that came with some versions of Studio 10 is not compatible with Windows Vista.
Installation Notes:
  • This installer is intended for Vista only and does not work on XP
  • When double-clicking on the EXE file, it can take up to 4minutes to open the archive. That's normal….
  • By default the installation will be extracted to C:\Studio_Vista_Installer. Go into this folder and double-click on Setup.exe
  • We do not provide a serial number. Please use your Studio 10plus, Studio v10 or Studio Plus v10 Upgrade serial number.
  • We are sorry, but we are not able to provide the files on a disk

Notify Me by Email if this Answer is Updated DetailsLink Removed - Invalid URL
  • Answer ID15580
  • Date Created04/24/2007 08:20
  • Last Updated05/14/2008 06:15

<H2>Studio 10 installation with Windows Vista</H2><H3>Studio 10 installation with Windows Vista

1) You have a version of Studio Plus 10.6 FULL on DVD and you want to install the software under Microsoft Vista
  • You do not need to download any file, the Studio 10.6 Install DVD already includes the Vista Installation.
2) You have any full versions of Studio 10 Plus on disk, prior to 10.6 (10.0, 10.1, 10.5) or you have any Upgrade version of Studio 10 (10.0, 10.1, 10.5 and 10.6) and you want to install the software under Microsoft Vista
  • Please download the Studio Plus Vista installer (1.4GB)
3) You have a version of Studio 10.6 (Standard) on DVD and you want to install the software under Microsoft Vista
  • You do not need to download this file, the Studio 10.6 Install DVD already includes the Vista Installation.
4) You have any version of Studio 10 (Standard) (10.0, 10.1, and 10.5) and you want to install the software under Microsoft Vista
  • Please download the Studio Vista installer (1.4GB)
5) You have a version of Studio QuickStart 10.5 on CD and you want to install the software under Microsoft Vista
  • You do not need to download any file, the Studio QuickStart 10.5 Install CD can be installed under Vista.
  • Some error messages can be displayed during the installation process, please just skip them.
6) You have any version of Studio 10 SE and you want to install the software under Microsoft Vista
  • Studio 10 SE is not compatible with Vista. Please purchase a full or upgrade version of Studio Plus version 11 from our online store
Note: Pinnacle MediaManager that came with some versions of Studio 10 is not compatible with Windows Vista.
Installation Notes:
  • This installer is intended for Vista only and does not work on XP
  • When double-clicking on the EXE file, it can take up to 4minutes to open the archive. That's normal….
  • By default the installation will be extracted to C:\Studio_Vista_Installer. Go into this folder and double-click on Setup.exe
  • We do not provide a serial number. Please use your Studio 10plus, Studio v10 or Studio Plus v10 Upgrade serial number.
  • We are sorry, but we are not able to provide the files on a disk

Notify Me by Email if this Answer is Updated DetailsLink Removed - Invalid URL
  • Answer ID15580
  • Date Created04/24/2007 08:20
  • Last Updated05/14/2008 06:15

How well did this answer your question?

100%
How well did this answer your question?

</H3> 100%
75%
50%
25%

This is from Pinnacle's Web Site

I have Quickstart 10.5 on CD. However, when I insert it into my laptop (Vista 64-bit), nothing happens. When I go to computer, it says that the disc drive is empty. What can I do?

It works fine on an xp based computer.

Problem is, I can not use my xp computer for what I need.

Something in Pinnacle's setup files (Quick Start, Instant DVD Recorder, Studio, all of them) deletes my DVD drives. None of the 3 DVD drives will bring up the "automatic run" screen when I insert ANY DVD, or CD for installation. I have had to recover my system before installation of the Instant DVD Recorder and other Pinnacle software for 64bit Vista.

Very disappointing.

Oh my, I thought it was just these three discs being incompatible with my Vista 64-bit laptop. I just tried putting in a completely different disc (Halo PC, haha), and nothing came up and in "Computer", it said the drive was empty! ARG!

I'm saving all my important stuff onto a USB key and then I guess I'm going to have to restore my system, as you said you did.

After you did that, did the three Pinnacle discs work?

I restored my PC once, and then I just restored it to an earlier time (which was obviously the day before I installed Pinnacle).
Do a restore to an earlier time instead. The drives show up then, and you don't lose any data.

It wasn't the pinnacle discs that didn't work, it was the DISK DRIVES. They did not show up in My Computer. Device Manager showed them there, but with an "!"

Alright, so I restored it to a couple days ago and the CDs worked fine. They are all installed now.

However, when I go into Studio 10, and I go to capture source, there should be the option for Dazzle DVC 100 there, but all I see is DV Camcorder, and HP Webcam. Is there some kind of driver that I need to get?

I guess what I mean to say is that my laptop does not recognize the Dazzle DVD Recorder at all.

Back
Top Bottom