Vista Reboot Loop

Anytime I restart by clicking restart on the start menu or when a program wants to restart, vista will reboot and and just loop in a reboot mode constantly until I press the power button on my computer and turn in off that way and then when I turn it back on it's fine and boots into windows. Usually I just tell the comp to shutdown and then press the power buttton to turn it back on but this gets tiresome some times. Does anyone have any suggestions?

No thats not it, it wasn't becuase of an update it does it the moment after I install Vista and if an app wants to restart or I click retsart, vista shuts down and reboots the comp but right before displaying the loading page it will reboot the computer again and agin and agin unless i press the power buttton and shutdown that way and then power it back up. I have to click shutdown or tell an app not to restart the computer to avoid the problem

Celestra

Former Moderator
Shucks....it sounds so much like that problem, even XP's have endless rebooting with BSOD, these days. I have an idea- If the SAM file is deleted away the computer will be unable to start-up. Try this: Fix Deleted SAM File Causing Windows Vista Unable to Boot Error » Tip and Trick

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Have you tried using the 'Repair' function utilising the os disk?

U

Unregistered

Yes I tried the repair function and that didn't work

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
hmm...bugger, oh well, thinking caps back on!

Celestra

Former Moderator

If I remember right I had that same problem with win98 one time but I can't remember what it was....I'm gettin' old. :frown:

Celestra

Former Moderator
If I remember right I had that same problem with win98 one time but I can't remember what it was....I'm gettin' old. :frown:
Hey, he doesn't say what he's using, could be that bad......

I am using Vista Ultimate but also tried Vista Home Premium and had the same issue. I have a compaq EVO with 1.5 GB,40 GB HDD,Nvidia Geforce 550 FX GPU card,Sound Blaster Audigy, Lit-ON DVD/CD Burner,Pentium 4 @ 2.4 Ghz Processor

Celestra

Former Moderator
Hi!!! This is a real good one..... Things that can cause endless rebooting: Overheating, spyware/virus/adware, PSU, VideoCard, Conflicting Software-running in the background. (I've heard of some new internal card reader causing endless rebooting- but can't confirm). Possible virus maybe, with the two different type installs- unusual. I've even thought about insufficient RAM causing endless rebooting, it kills a lot of XP memory. But it wouldn't have these symptoms. (Compaq Evo, runs hot, hard to install Vista). Have you talked to HP Total Care?

That's good to know. I made myself a note, not to install when I get my PC back together.
Thanks

Talk about double post :eek:

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
I didn't even go there lol

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.