Windows 7 Vista Starter -> Win 7; not clean install help

jazzglenn

Hi I'm new here and I do have a tiny background in installing Windows 7. As of my experience goes, all i have done are clean installs and for once in my life I have never done a not clean/unclean install before. Here's the thing, a friend of mine asks me to reformat his old acer notebook from Vista starter(yeah i know...) to a better Windows 7. He got 2 partitions the C: (the common files) and D: (all his work files and portfolio) which kinda sounds normal to anybody, but the problem is I accidentally left my external at my parents house and its a very long drive. He really needs hes notebook by the end of the day.

I'm kinda scared right now to do some unsafe reformatting on partitions since i have only do clean reformats. I have never done this thing before and I'm really scared that i might end up reformatting the drive D: too, in which all his important files are.

So please share your wisdom :(

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

In the install partitioner you can select the c: partition and just format that, leaving the d: partition alone.

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

In the install partitioner you can select the c: partition and just format that, leaving the d: partition alone.
I never knew it was this simple though. I feel really stupid right now. Its already done and also, Thank you soo much :)

In addition to what nmsuk suggested, you may want to back up the "D:" partition to a CD/DVD or another external drive, just in case.

Don
I tried calling friends who do have a spare external drive but they're not pickup. The CD/DVD option was the first thing that came into my mind but after seeing his how large his partition is i guess i ain't the most practical thing to do. Its a great advise sir, and thank you for contributing, i really appreciate it. But, Its already done. :)

Dear Mod's Please lock thread. [SOLVED]

jazzglenn, everyone starts some where. If people admit it or not, they where at the same point you are, at one point in time. Forums are for the sharing of information, that's what we do. You will get there sooner or latter. If you have any more questions, come back, I am sure there will be someone here to help.

jazzglenn, everyone starts some where. If people admit it or not, they where at the same point you are, at one point in time. Forums are for the sharing of information, that's what we do. You will get there sooner or latter. If you have any more questions, come back, I am sure there will be someone here to help.

So true excellent post NaiyaShamiso

Back