Windows 8 Vista to Win8 ?

electrox73

Hey guys, I dual-booted Vista and Win 8. I created a small ~20GB partition where I have my Windows 8 Release Preview. Now I really like it, because Vista is really slow compared to any other OS. Windows 8 is blazing fast, but I have programs on my Vista partition. I make music so I use Ableton Live for that. When I tried to launch Ableton in Windows 8 by browsing through the Vista partition, it wants to install itself and authorize again. If I was on Windows 7 64-bit I would use the Laplink PCMover but I am on Vista 32-bit. Is there a way I could transfer my programs to Windows 8? (They're all 32-bit if it matters...) Like use some backup & restore thing or anything??

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum.
What you are describing would require and upgrade path from Vista to Windows 8. This option is not recommended with any of the available Preview versions of Windows 8 and is it not intended to be your sole OS on a production machine that you count on from day to day to get your work done.
Once Windows 8 is Generally Available and according to this chart Windows 8 upgrade paths 'leaked', XP, Vista and 7 supported - TechSpot News if you have Vista with SP1 (minimally) installed then such an upgrade path should be available to you to preserve your installed applications, assuming your hardware supports such and upgrade. There is some disagreement as to what you can upgrade from and what will be preserved during this process, since most of the information available currently is, so called leaked information. So I would be sure to check as we get closer to the October 26th GA release date to make sure nothing has changed.
Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99

Hello and welcome to the forum.
What you are describing would require and upgrade path from Vista to Windows 8. This option is not recommended with any of the available Preview versions of Windows 8 and is it not intended to be your sole OS on a production machine that you count on from day to day to get your work done.
Once Windows 8 is Generally Available and according to this chart Windows 8 upgrade paths 'leaked', XP, Vista and 7 supported - TechSpot News if you have Vista with SP1 (minimally) installed then such an upgrade path should be available to you to preserve your installed applications, assuming your hardware supports such and upgrade. There is some disagreement as to what you can upgrade from and what will be preserved during this process, since most of the information available currently is, so called leaked information. So I would be sure to check as we get closer to the October 26th GA release date to make sure nothing has changed.
Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99

But I don't think it'll work when I have 32-bit Windows Vista and want 64-bit Windows 8...

Nope, sure won't. When changing to the different 32 or 64 architecture you'll need a custom clean install.

Oh god, now I have to install Ableton Live and a ton of VST plugins manually :D well what can I do?
Thank for the help :)

It would probably be a good idea to confirm with the vendor, regarding any software that you plan to install on Windows 8 when the time comes, that their product is Windows 8 compatible or if it might require an update, upgrade or patch to make it so.

It would probably be a good idea to confirm with the vendor, regarding any software that you plan to install on Windows 8 when the time comes, that their product is Windows 8 compatible or if it might require an update, upgrade or patch to make it so.

Yes, I checked the Ableton forums and moderators said that Ableton Live is bug/crash free whatsoever on Windows 8 and I really have a lot of VST plugins so I just gotta hope they'll work :) I was just thinking would some backup & restore program help me? Or is the 64-bit architecture too different from 32-bit? Only thing I know about 64-bit is that it allows you to use 16 exabytes of RAM vs. the 4 gigabytes on 32bit...

Back